Does anyone have any idea as to what causes the tick over needle to fluctuate. I have cleaned the i c v, put new leads, plugs and fuel filter on. The car is a 1998 bog standard 60,000 mile manual turbo ep91. The only thing i have not changed is the dizzy cap and rotor arm which i have just ordered from camskill. When i pull the plug on the i c v there is no change in the idleing does this mean it's nacked because it is starting to do my nut right in :lol:

Does anyone have any idea as to what causes the tick over needle to fluctuate. I have cleaned the i c v, put new leads, plugs and fuel filter on. The car is a 1998 bog standard 60,000 mile manual turbo ep91. The only thing i have not changed is the dizzy cap and rotor arm which i have just ordered from camskill. When i pull the plug on the i c v there is no change in the idleing does this mean it's nacked because it is starting to do my nut right in :lol:

mine does the same! fluctuates about 150rpm & pops from the exhaust like tiny misfires.

i've not tried pulling the plug on my icv to see if it changes though.

mine does the same! fluctuates about 150rpm & pops from the exhaust like tiny misfires.

i've not tried pulling the plug on my icv to see if it changes though.

Mine does not pop or bang just fluctuating idle other than that its as sweet as a nut.

sounds like air flow meter my mates ran horribble try borrow a mates air flow meter and see if that helps :lol: ive heard a bad bang or bad pothole can f**k it up

Where is that located and what does it look like bud this car i bought for the misses i have a supra so just getting to grips with these. cheers

its near the airbox or airfilter its just after your air filter there is a plug coming out of it

just for an instance unplug it from the air flow meter see if it trys to rectify itself or changes its idel pattern

its near the airbox or airfilter its just after your air filter there is a plug coming out of it

just for an instance unplug it from the air flow meter see if it trys to rectify itself or changes its idel pattern

I will give it a go tommorow. cheers

Starlet don't have an air flow meter, the n/a has a temp sensor near the air box but it's bolted in to the manifold on the turbo, starlets measure air from the map sensor which is a little black box on the bulk head on the drivers side it has a 4mm tube going to it and it will be mounted higher than the manifold in the 4mm tube it will have a small inline filter about 3-4 inches below the map sensor.

Starlet don't have an air flow meter, the n/a has a temp sensor near the air box but it's bolted in to the manifold on the turbo, starlets measure air from the map sensor which is a little black box on the bulk head on the drivers side it has a 4mm tube going to it and it will be mounted higher than the manifold in the 4mm tube it will have a small inline filter about 3-4 inches below the map sensor.

cheers relised that when i started looking. It also drops a fair bit when the headlights are turned on as well what a pain in the arse. :)

They all seem pretty good but i will go through them again

Went in to toyota today and spoke to one of the technisions he said the idle control valve which has been described on hear has more to do with the air con so i tried puling the plug off while the air con was on and low and behold the revs droped. He said they recently had someone in with the same problem and it turned out to be the water temp sensor. I don't realy understand what the water temp sensor has to do with the idle, maybe someone might be able to shed some light ;)

basically the water temperature sensor will tell the ecu if the engine is cold or hot.

if hot idle lower (normal operating temp) and if cold idle higher.

i presume if the sensor is not working properly you could get fluctuating idle as the sensor keeps changing it mind on whether its hot or cold

i remember someone else having replaced this part resolved their problem. this could be the case for you. you might as well try, its a cheap fix. here's a link clicky ;)

basically the water temperature sensor will tell the ecu if the engine is cold or hot.

if hot idle lower (normal operating temp) and if cold idle higher.

i presume if the sensor is not working properly you could get fluctuating idle as the sensor keeps changing it mind on whether its hot or cold

i remember someone else having replaced this part resolved their problem. this could be the case for you. you might as well try, its a cheap fix. here's a link clicky ;)

That makes sense, thanks for the link. The one at camskill is for models up to 97. Mine is a 98 do you think it will be the same because toyota quoted £57

tbh i'm not 100% sure myself because. cant understand why they would be different. but could be wrong

best bet would be to ask camskill because £57 is expensive!

Checked with camskill they do have 2 the one i need is £48 + p&p is a few quid short of Toyota.

Anywho had a little development today i noticed my lower rad hose is not getting warm it is staying cold so i would think my probs are steming from a stuck thermostat. I will change tommorow and keep you all posted of the outcome. Need it ready for RCSC this weekend or the misses will have me nuts. I haven't even had chence to wash me supra yet kin ell :wub: