alright people.. im getting a new turbo with a different compresser wheel and stuff.. but i have to keep the wastegate side of my exhaust.

ive found that the shaft with the blads on moves a litte up and down - side to side when wobbled

and a small crack under my wastegate flap.

will these be a problem? if so how is the shaft movement fixed?

also when i fit this turbo do i assume i have to fit it to my shaft, so how do i?

and also how do we seperate the wastegate side from turbo side?

or do we need tot ake it to a mechanics?

Are you planning on making your own hybrid? ie. actually replacing the compressor wheel from this new turbo to the shaft of your old turbo? If you were replacing the wheels and housing you would need to re-balance the shaft to an extremely high rpm (turbos spin up to 150000rpm) or else the shaft and wheel would vibrate itself to bits and probably get sucked into the engine -- possibly blocking oil journals and causing oil starvation to parts of the engine...

Or am I misreading your post?

Also the play in the shaft of this new turbo -- could be ok if its dry (ie no oil in in) but depends how many mm of play. When turbo is connected the oil makes a fluid "bearing" and stops the shaft from moving

The wastegate crack could be a problem but a way to get around that would be to weld the watsegate shut and pipe in an external wastegate.

================================================

This is why you can pay upwards of £600 for a company to hybridise your turbo!

if its just a small harline crack, it will be fine. if it looks major you need to send it to have a shim inserted in the wastegate port. they fix the crack and then all the stress goes on the shim instead of the wastegate opening.

and i would have thought if the shaft wobbles youll need a new shaft andh ave it rebalanced, somebody correct me if im wrong. which i could well be lmao its late and ive had a hardddd day at work. ;)

hm well i think everyone's reading it a different way, because im seeing it as you're changing the compressor side, but usually, to go alone with a new compressor wheel/shaft/blades etc you need to cut/weld in a new inlet port which is obviously wider and beefier to go along with it, otherwise, its still only able to suck through the stock inlet side which would always be the limiting factor (well, aswell as so many other variables, but its a factor).

yepp as ecks said, it depends on what parts your on about. generally if it has "shaft play" you need it reconditioned bro...

best bet it to get it done properly if you havent got much idea about it.. or bring it over to mine one day so i can see exactly what bit your on about... orrr get a photo lol..