i might be interested in buying a panhard rod. can anyone tell me if they are easy to fit and adjust when on the car? i know what they do but can anyone tell me if there is a noticeable handling gain. my car is lowered 40mm.

cheers.

Hi mate

Joz 1st on the scene again hehe!

Its not really there for a handling gain to be honest, altho it would defo stiffen and uprate the rear axle area a bit.

This has been covered many times before.

Its main purpose (hence its adjustability) is to allow you to realign your rear axle after lowering. As after you lower, your rear axle gets pushed outwards, hence fucking up your alignment (be it a few mm or more) it makes a difference. Everytime you adjust your ride height, it makes the axle go out of line in the case of adjustable ride height!

Check this excellent link/ vid out for a better idea! >>>RS*R Panhard

I have the RS*R one in that actual vid (with yellow bushes) (pure jdm by the way) and its adjustable on car which is dead handy (I need to get it adjusted again)

The whiteline from what I have heard is adjustable off car, if Im wrong sorry, but I believe that is right.

Fitting is easy, anyone with any experience underneath a car will be fine, if your not sure, the dudes who did your lowering should manage it ok. I got mine fitted and adjusted by the same person who fitted my coilovers :p

So you have Whiteline = £70-£75+ from Fensport or similar.

RS*R = £150+ imported from Japan + taxes/shipping.(*mine*).

Cusco = £300+ mark imported from Japan + taxes/shipping.

One of the good things you can do for your car is stiffen up the rear. Both for aesthetics and cosmetics :lol:

You can see its purpose and effect.

988e9431.jpg

The RS*R rod on my car!

47ed19d6.jpg

My rear (lovin it!) and no u cant have it lol!

5525b195.jpg

The rear of my starlet is stiff as fu*k and amazingly still has room for improvement by adding in other little suspension bits (I'll save that for another day :D) I drive fast road and it still wont bottom out or slide :D

I hope this all helps mate.

There are many views on getting a panhard and whether not it is necessary!

In my view, they are a tasty piece of kit, essential if you have lowered noticeably by allowing you to realign your rear axle and also replaces the old one which is a shitheap B) Also nice thing about it is you get two brand new polybushes, which come with it to replace your knackered smelly old ones and they stiffen the rear a little alone!

Whether or not you need one if you have only lowered 40mm on lowering springs is up to you, if I was in your shoes I would and also get uprated shocks, but seeing as u are thinking about a glanza later, maybe you dont want to seriously get into this too much :huh: But you can still use it on your glanza later if need be ;) Also does your alignment/geometry feel fine, or do feel something is way out, or an arch scraping?

Anyway Keirz, you got your moneys worth there, information on the panhard as well as your starlet agony uncle... what more do u want? #*@%$!

You know it makes sense...

Best answer I could give! Its been a pleasure!

I know u said u know what they do, but its better to hear it from someone who actually has one lol!

Another case solved! Another quality article from yours truly!

Peace Out

Joz

thats all good and well, although, after careful measurement of a friends, after being lowered about 70mm (D2's) or more, the axle was AT MOST around 4mm out, which to be honest, isn't really worth bothering/caring about. its not enough to make a difference to really in my opinion not worth the money (even for the cheapest one).

I've the standard toyota three point rear strut brace and tanabe shocks etc, rear doesn't step out or nowt, it'd be nice if it did though, ep91's are far too willing to understeer.

Hey Harry

Yea you mentioned that before, but that was for your mate, just thinking it might be different for other people in different cases and they would be lowering different heights and may be out by more or even less (considering the current state of their geometry)... its hard to say so...

I think its a nice addition, not a waste of money, and you should see the state of the oem, if you can uprate it, go for it if you can afford it. It damn well helps! The adjustability helps and works for me anyway!!!

No felching, roast fests or homo/poo jokes !!!! :D:lol::p

Whats the comeback on that, :huh: King Size :D ! B)

Peace Out

Joz

oh ofcourse its different in certain situations, but how different can they be, if you've got D2's which are as low as they can go, then if that dont shove it out of alignment then i dont know what will.

At less than 4mm, its a negligible difference which shouldnt have any affect on the handling/road holding on the car. If an individual's was to be out by more than that then obviously there are other factors which affect the alignment.

The OEM one is a dirty great chunk of metal, the 'state' of it shouldn't really affect it in anyway, it does one job and unless its bent its never gonna break/stop doing its job, thus in my opinion they are a bit of an unnecessary expensive (considering what you can get for the same moulon :p).

Be nice to see how others differ to be honest because it really was such a minimal amount on the one i saw.

Nah its cool Harry!

It is there for the option to uprate if desired, it can adjust your axle if need be also, thats about it! Damn nicer looKing and robust than the oem rust heap tho!

As for the difference of 4mm, every little helps especially on this car!

Liking the strut brace in the boot!

Might be an idea for me to do at some point....

How much did that set you back?

You talkin bout the lower brace Mikey?

Its a cusco type OS lower strut brace, you can get it here!

cusco

Its £125 nicker - postage from there.

I paid less because I bought 3 cusco braces in a one off deal on collection!!!

£250 for all three, front, rear and lower :p

These are old pics by the way :D

Peace Out

Joz

nicer looking?

hahahaha

how often do you go about crawling under the rear axle of someone's car?

also, they're usually used on lowered cars, thus, they're too low to see em unless you're literally crawling around on your back anyway. :p

I'd much rather spend the money on monstrous turbo kits personally, once you experience boooooost, you try and sustain the addiction indefinately, this usually comes at a sacrifice to everything else :D hahahaha

Lol OK fair enough Harrison B)

Sacrifice this!

:p Shut your damn monkey about turbos! lmao on topic!!!

From panhard rod to boost addiction, you're mad lol! :D

Its nice to know you have a nice shiny uprated rod underneath than the oem monstrosity thats all!

Also the oem panhard is capable of snapping if u hit a kerb so there u go!!!

Keirz each to their own, but just dont listen to the madman above :D

Peace Out

Joz

i know i aint the topic starter but cheers for the report there Joz, i should be gettin my hands on a Whiteline PHrod in the comin months from another member, and the rear cusco to match my front one is on my xmas list actually :p:D

Good report there lad! Cheers!

Phil.

Sounds good mate! :D

Glad u liked my report, if it can be at least a little helpful to someone I'll be pleased!

Peace Out

Joz

thanks joz. cracking report, you should release a starlet info book and sell it on here, you would make a killing. if you do i want 50% for implanting the idea!

due to now having the 15s it dont scub no more, except god damn exhaust on bumps.

i will have to think about this one, but as you say it will also go on the glanza so it wont be money wasted.

Yep u got it in one mate! ;)

It cant hurt to uprate tbh and u can use later if need be! :lol:

And wont hurt your pocket if u go for the whiteline, it all depends on what direction you want for your car!

Everyone is different, each to their own, once u taste the JDM, you wont want to go back!

You have a little taste in the stickers u have :huh:

Yea I tried to cover everything u asked and then some, something not many people do really, I will release a book sumday, be sure to look out for it B)JOZDM :D:D:pB)

Peace Out

Joz

In all honesty it's quite important to have the rear in perfect alignment with the rest of the car. Yes you can make do and live with it but if your after handling perfection the panhard rod is really essential. All the kit's come with uprated bushes which is another plus point and they are much thicker than the hollow originals. I couldn't have a Starlet without one. Once your in the realms of suspension/chassis modification you may as well do it right from the beginning. :D

Once you have most the chassis essentials you can have the camber, castor, toe, steer ahead, thrust angle and corner weights adjusted to suit your driving style, like mine on the ye old hunter alignment system:

th_09082006618-1.jpg

Hunter Alignment

Cheers

T