Forged Pistons? But What Size?

hey guys away to buy forged pistons and rods off tmd. so needing to know what sizes i need for the pistons. 74mm 74.5mm or 75mm and can any one give me a pointer what to do... got a proper mechinic doing it but i just one to get everything for him. he said something about an uprated head gasket and stuff. and hes charging me 300 quid for doing it (mate prices) my engine is a e4efte. if anyone can tell me be a big help cheers and i send you love on facebook thank you!!!

Depends on the condition of your bores, I'm pressuming your mechanic will be using a machine shop to rebore and hone the block.

If so you will need 74.5mm pistons and 4e rods. You are better with an uprated gasket also, I've heard good bits about these cometic head gaskets but never ran one.

Anymore questions just ask

Gary

Yeah most people tend to use the 74.5mm and get the block rebored. If you want to use stock size, you can always get the block honed (bored cleaned up) but I've personally been advised to go for oversize instead.

The athena headgaskets that Dave sells are supposed to be pretty good. I would order myself one if I didn't already have a ZEP racing one.

As stated 74.5 is the best bet and forged 4e rods, agood combo is the wiseco pistons and peuter rods. Belive dave does a package on them, id advise to go with the athena gaskets as they are also getting wicked reviews, they are the only hg with all the water ways open to aid cooling and im just about to order an athena myself as i run 75.5mm pistons and they are they only company to produce a gasket for all the different bore sizes :)

boring is where you have the block bores made bigger to fit a larger piston, honing is a cleaning process, you will need to send the bare block away to an engineering shop who will sort the block out and also have both the head and block skimmed two, all in all the engineering work should cost no more than £150 and is 100% recomended other wise it will come back and bite you in the arse by causing other issues further down the line. athena head gaskets rang from £89-£130 depending on thikness etc, what turbo set up you plan on running bud?

boring is where you have the block bores made bigger to fit a larger piston, honing is a cleaning process, you will need to send the bare block away to an engineering shop who will sort the block out and also have both the head and block skimmed two, all in all the engineering work should cost no more than £150 and is 100% recomended other wise it will come back and bite you in the arse by causing other issues further down the line. athena head gaskets rang from £89-£130 depending on thikness etc, what turbo set up you plan on running bud?

td04 but when ive got the cash... my mate can hone it but not bore it and im nae too sure on engineering companys up here but i did get recommended one from a mate. is there any other way for me not to bore it? sprry if thats a nooby question

ave just forged mine there using 74mm ross racing pistons just honed the the bores and notched the block as scat rods were catching once done and fitted the car is running sweet as just needs ran in and then td05 18g scooby turbo on mapped then al b :)

• 9 months later...
ave just forged mine there using 74mm ross racing pistons just honed the the bores and notched the block as scat rods were catching once done and fitted the car is running sweet as just needs ran in and then td05 18g scooby turbo on mapped then al b :D

Hiya mate im having a problem with mine at the minute im using 74 mm wisco i dont no wether its me but its sound like there is alot of piston slap. Hows urs when its up 2 temp ?? and also what miles r u doing to run it in ??