coil packs are said to give the car a better spark than a dizzy does dont know if you could use it on fte tho as the dizzy and coil pack plugs would be diffrent i think

diz less systems use a capasitive discharge ignition system giving same kv at all operating rpms. wer as distributer systems run a inductive discharge system wer as kv will drop off over 3000rpm normaly and will keep droping the more the rpm increases.

look at the fc fire control systems by jacobs electronics its like a piggy back ecu for distributor systems helping keep kv up by incorperating a cap discharge system in a distributor system. also the c4 coil is very good wen runnig big boost presure means you do not have to close the plug gap.

also the N/A distibutor is totaly different to the turbo 1 because of the add boost presure it needs a bigger coil which means more kv at the plug.

if you can, keep the coil packs......imo in the not so long future it will be the norm to run the FTE this way alot of people already are.

as above chris highlighted the advantages have a read of this article:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarti...sics/index.html

edit: the last gen of FE came with the coilpack set-up not sure but possibly something which could be incorporated into the megasquirt instead of the EDIS from ford?

coil packs are said to give the car a better spark than a dizzy does dont know if you could use it on fte tho as the dizzy and coil pack plugs would be diffrent i think

the only time you normaly get different plugs in a diz less system iz wen its coil on plug, thr is no resistance which iz normally added by the plug leads. so bosch R, or NGK R plugs are normaly used the R standing for the built in resister in the plug helping the high frequencey signal at high rpm.

hope that makes sence

the only time you normaly get different plugs in a diz less system iz wen its coil on plug, thr is no resistance which iz normally added by the plug leads. so bosch R, or NGK R plugs are normaly used the R standing for the built in resister in the plug helping the high frequencey signal at high rpm.

hope that makes sence

i meant the wire plugs mate that plug into the dizzy/coil pack from the loom not the spark plug

i meant the wire plugs mate that plug into the dizzy/coil pack from the loom not the spark plug

in that case, yep you right i would expect thm to be differnet, but am not 100% because i have never had my hands on 1 of this type.

am well interested thw.

Funny you should say that our yaris which is COP uses the same plugs as my N/A bkr5eix

it's one my goals to get a N/A running on EDIS and megasquirt sooo many possibilities

so... the 4efe in my ep95 uses a coil pack, can it be used on the fte? would there be any difference to the dizzy?

312.jpg

hi

if this is fitted to a N/A starlet , what is involved in swapping to another motor

how availiable would the major bits be ???

would it just plug&play or would the wiring looms be different b/tween the N/Astarlets

this would be a good mod on a N/A starlet if it could br done without much hassle

lyle

Funny you should say that our yaris which is COP uses the same plugs as my N/A bkr5eix

it's one my goals to get a N/A running on EDIS and megasquirt sooo many possibilities

i lov u man, its time to get the mega squirt up and running me think nows thr is 2 heads on it.

hi

if this is fitted to a N/A starlet , what is involved in swapping to another motor

how availiable would the major bits be ???

would it just plug&play or would the wiring looms be different b/tween the N/Astarlets

this would be a good mod on a N/A starlet if it could br done without much hassle

lyle

i realy need to get me a starlet that has this fitted as it will have a toothed wheel for the rpm pick up and possibly a tdc sensor or cam position sensor. which means it is a totaly different ecu and will have much more digital internal components, even a faster processer.

and remember till i can take 1 apart i am at the min only speculating, as bin said thr are so many veryations of ignition systems.

if it aint broke.... dont fix it....

fte's run dizzy... as long as there serviced items, you wont have a problem!

simpler is better!

if a coilpack fails, it just goes!

you can always see if a dizzy is worn!

hehehehe, i agree if you do not know wat your doing leave well allown, its quite simple to test a coil pack, but disagree with the simpler the better as why do people up grade plugs and leads, the same applys to the ignition amp and coil. dissys being mechanical have seen thr day and these new coil on plug ignition systems can give alot better acceleration response, spark duration, kv rise time, dwell and finally bigger hotter spark.

electronics has replaced machanical, this is the future lets embrace it.

Sorry but,

The CT9 is perfectly matched to the FTE as standard why do people go for hybrid/TD04? because they are better offer more performace and power

iirc your engine is fine n if i also assumed correctly ure going forged? "if it aint broke.... dont fix it...." :lol:

same with this theres nothing wrong with the dizzy but going with the coilpack offers soo many advantages over dizzy and all you can think of is it breaking down?

thats whats holding progress back i would jump at the chance to experiment, my only problem is money....more to the point lack of it

not having a dig whatsoever mate but its about hightime we started thinking out of the box for this little engine and squeezing more out of it using modern upto date methods.....look around at other boards and ull soon see coil pack upon coilpack

Asad

dont mean to burst the bubble on this. yes the coil pack may just plug into the 4efe engine loom but it wont on fte as the dizzy wire on a fte is much diffrent 4efe have 2 plugs fte have 1 big plug i do belive which means you would have to splice all the wire and try and mix and match. if you have the time and money go for it but there is no proff that it will work 100%

The standard ignition setup with some decent plugs and leads, and good condition distributor cap/rotor arm is fine for most Starlets...

Unless you're chasing silly power figures there isn't much need.

The standard ignition setup with some decent plugs and leads, and good condition distributor cap/rotor arm is fine for most Starlets...

Unless you're chasing silly power figures there isn't much need.

it has nothing to do with added power, for all you horse power chasers.

and yep the standard system iz fine just wers, and adds quite a few errors to the system, oh and digital systems are alot more tuneable and responsize, for me its all about the addaptation of the after market ecus and moving away from the jap and into the more main stream systems.

just think of it like this the higher the rpm, the shorter the time the system has 2 do its thing and at high rpm we talking about milli sec. digial for me wins hands down.

dont mean to burst the bubble on this. yes the coil pack may just plug into the 4efe engine loom but it wont on fte as the dizzy wire on a fte is much diffrent 4efe have 2 plugs fte have 1 big plug i do belive which means you would have to splice all the wire and try and mix and match. if you have the time and money go for it but there is no proff that it will work 100%

yep this is very ture the n/a has a very differnt set up. and the onse i have worked on so far do not have knock control systems. which is a must in this day and age of high comprestion ratios and boost presure. only for the pros to have a go. requires a in depth understanding of electronics and how stuff works.