First Run Of The Itbs, Slight Teething Problem.

well here's what i've been working on this morning, it has a few teetching problems, namely it sound like one cylinder isn't firing, any one any ideas, and don't say air leak, i've chased my miles of piping already.

th_MOV05469.jpg

cured! problem was a mixture of things. i have a small reservoir to smooth out the pulsing vacuum but it has a filter or valve in it screwing up the MAP sensor, removed it and then it ran better. also the FPR was plumbed into where it goes normally however i realised that with itb it's only reading pressure from number 1 cylinder (big mistake). plumbed it in and smoothed it out some more. i still need a proper reservoir to flatten out the idle but it's sounds a lot healther now. looking forward to getting it going when it's stopped raining. on a run up to scotland this evening.

pics to follow

so here is it running properly:

th_MOV05472.jpg

and here's a few pics of just what was involved in converting the 5E to ITB's today:

firstly had to get some itb's and build it up (build thread to follow at later date)

finishedsetlinkage.jpg

here is a couple of pics of the number of air lines involved, its quite a few:

airlines.jpg

moreairlines.jpg

here is where i relocated the inlet air temperature sensor:

itbwithIAT.jpg

here was one of the harder bits:

i had to fabricate and ICV utilising the old one so that i could keep it plug in and play.

ICV.jpg

the icv filters seperately and is now located far away hidden just inside the passenger wing between the fuse box:

icvfilter.jpg

here is the finished article complete with jap spec air filters whilst i wait from some mini cones to arrive:

japspecfilter.jpg

here is the finished set up, you can just about see every part of the conversion:

fullITBconv.jpg

You have silicon on the NPT fittings on the inlet manifold??? You pikey get some PTFE tape on them! B)

Ah i didnt realise you wer running stock injector locations etc.

Well done on the conversion though, doing something diffirent is always more rewarding.

You have silicon on the NPT fittings on the inlet manifold??? You pikey get some PTFE tape on them! B)

lol! there's a layer of PTFE tape under the silicone, the gunk was for extra assurance B)

Well done on getting it working, I'm guessing you are on the standard ECU aswell?

One thing though, I don't know wether it's just the video but it looks like the silicone pipes are being "sucked in" when you rev the engine.

i was just about to say the samething re:silicon pipe being sucked in.that is deffo a no no.also on your inlet where you have cut the top off .how have you finished the end of the inlet runners?because if that has a step in it it will deffo be robbing you of power.my dad had probs like this on his v8 running 4x48 webbers

i was just about to say the samething re:silicon pipe being sucked in.that is deffo a no no.also on your inlet where you have cut the top off .how have you finished the end of the inlet runners?because if that has a step in it it will deffo be robbing you of power.my dad had probs like this on his v8 running 4x48 webbers

hmm, that is very much the case, i have tapered the original inner diameter but it's a little stepped. i mah have to look into a better arrangement. and probably some kind of aftermarket ECU (everything is standard except the inlet manifold!

Latest Update, re jigging the 'tap off' lines and i think i've nailed the correct setup. my most recent mistake was leaving the crank case breather connected to the intake manifold lines. i'm all for crankcase breathing and agreed that yes it's better to have the vapours sucked out then to leak out after the pressure built up. however due to the high vacuum caused from the ITB setup i was actually leaking air in through my breather, into the rocker cover and through into the manifold. this caused my MAP sensor to read partially open when the TPS read shut. having re plumbed that the response is a lot more lively through out the rev range as it's no longer running uber rich for an N/A.

also worth noting for those that intend to run N/A E-series engines. alot of people complain about how the standard valve springs are no good for higher revving applications. well this might be true if you're trying to enter 4A-GE territory but for up to 8000 the standard ones shouldn't prove to be a problem. the evidence i use to back up my claim is that the higher revving 5E-FHE engine (redline at 7400) uses exactly the same valve springs (identical part numbers, both compression spring: 13711C-90504‑34001 and the retainer: 13741-13741‑16010) as those found in any 5E/4E head.