ive been doing some reading as im going to be fitting some stainless steel dials soon and i need 2 bulbs as mine are blown i want them to light up blue

so my question is what bulbs are they

ive read t5 ive read t10 ive read 501 - 506 im soo confused lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

there are 2 different size bulbs in the speedo mate, ive got them both sat here infront of me weirdly enough lol

the smaller bulb says 'tsd .7 4' and the larger bulb doesnt say anything

the 1s in the dash behind the air con and gubbings are 's:14v 1.4w'

im looking for purple led replacements for all of them, so if you find some let me know please bud ;)

be careful with LEDs in your cluster, i have burnt out TWO of the circuit boards on the clusters using 5-cluster LED bulbs. my advice is to use single bulb LEDs, not the cluster ones. you WILL melt the copper tracking, trust me. nothing more disconcerting than seing a wee puff of smoke coming out of your dash!

Phil.

be careful with LEDs in your cluster, i have burnt out TWO of the circuit boards on the clusters using 5-cluster LED bulbs. my advice is to use single bulb LEDs, not the cluster ones. you WILL melt the copper tracking, trust me. nothing more disconcerting than seing a wee puff of smoke coming out of your dash!

Phil.

Good advice - what did you use instead of 5-cluster LED? I know single, but where did you purschase the LED from.

Thanks

addz - i havnt yet mate. what we ended up doing was soldering some wiring onto the copper tracking after we had burnt through it with the cluster LEDs lol, this acted as enough of a resistor to stop further burn outs.

what i have done is bought another SR cluster as i couldnt find a part number for the circuit boards. so, what i will be doing is putting this circuit board onto the back of my current SR cluster and refitting the OEM bulbs. however, i will be replacing the OEM green silicone covers with these babies:

ebay

there are only 3 small and 2 large bulbs in an SR cluster and having looked in my sisters EP91, i'd forgotten just how bright they are. so, in short, after all these years of wasted money and burnt out circuit boards, £5 would have done the same job.

dont use LEDs. they are fine for in behind the centre console as im also running them there, but NOT the cluster as they melt the copper tracking.

also - for LEDs u cannot beat ultraleds.co.uk. they are EPIC.

Phil.

no.

u see the black trim behind the steering wheel that leads to the cluster...like a black tunnel, with two screw in the top, remove that.

once out u will see the exposed cluster. there are three screws, bottom left, bottom right, and top centre (this one should be gold in colour). remove these.

the cluster is now semi-loose. u will need to wiggle it about to get your hand in. as u look at it, top right and top centre are two plugs in the back, these need pulled out. right in the middle of the rear of the cluster is the speedo cable itself, this too needs to be unplugged. the cluster should then come away.

small girly hands are required. fact. lol.

Phil.