How 2: Spray Paint Your Wheels

Well i picked up a full set of 1990 Starlet GT rims, came with good tyres and cost me £25 so couldn't go wrong there i guess!

The condition wasnt very pleasing:

DSC01114.jpg

So i thought i'd give em a lick of paint lol.

I was deciding whether to do them black or white, but didnt want em to stand out because, lets face it, they arent good looking rims! So the solution was black.. B)

What you will need:

The rims!

Masking Tape

Newspaper

Primer

Spray colour of your choice

A electric heater if possible, as the paint sticks better and quicker when warm.

Sandpaper

Paint Stripper (optional)

Step 1: Preparing the wheels

Get the tyre removed, or just mask it up.

Use some rough sand paper in the little areas. Use paint stripper on the flat bits as its much easier to use and gets all the paint off. Make sure the surface is clean before applying paint as any dirt will stand out and will probably cause the paint to chip easier.

DSC01115.jpg

Step 2: Applying the base coat

I used Hammerite to spray the wheels as it was quick and easy as a primer coat wasn't nesessary.

Apply the primer if necessary (read your spray tin)

Do about three layers of this, giving a ten minute gap between each one.

If theres any rough bits, wet and dry will its smooth.

Step 3: Spraying em!

Apply as many coats as you wish as the final coat, yet waiting twn minutes between each coat. The more the coats, the better as it will be thicker and give a better finish.

DSC01116.jpg

Step 4: Finishing touches

I added a red lip to mine, using pinstripe! Pretty straight forward really lol..just make sure it doesnt go wonky or else it will look gay!

DSC01119.jpg

DSC01121.jpg

Leave to dry. Spray the centre caps aswell if you want aswell, depending on the type of wheels you have.

And here we have a set of fresh looking rims, what cost £41 inc. tyres haha!!

DSC01122.jpg

DSC01118.jpg

DSC01116-1.jpg

Comments Appreciated B)

• 1 month later...

The only thing i would add to this is if you need to paint the rear of the rim do this first then paint the face of the wheel after. It prevents any runs or over spray on the face after you have painted them perfectly!!!! of course you only need to paint them if you can see it!!