Forged Engine Help

Guest cheshireglanza

Guest cheshireglanza

Has some off you no i pick my new glanza up on sat but i want to go forged but would like to have a go with help at building a forged engine for it,are the bits down below all i need

Parts,

Wiesco 75mm pistons size im going for

Scat forged rods

Athena 1.4mm headgasket

ARP Main bolts

ARP headbolts

ADL waterpump

Toyota oil pump

new gaskets and oil seals

ADL cam belt kit

New belts

Machine work;

Block to be re-bored to take 75mm pistons

Block honed

head skimmed

lighten standard flywheel

all chemically cleaned and re-painted.

Crank to be polished

Head will be fully ported and polished

valves re-seated

valve stem seals replaced

cleaned up.

block decked is a must if using a metal gasket...

acl bearings...

also, i wouldnt bother lightening the stock flywheel... wud be more expensive, JC project ot fidanza can be had for £250-300bar and they will be loads lighter...

i agree, i dont think lightening a standard flywheel is safe, i dont care how many people have done it, and have yet to experience a problem, it only takes one time, the rpm it turns at, the acceleration and force if it wer to become damged, it will split you in half.

if your having so much work done, i would also have the head ported.

And do you really think these manufacturers forge there own material to make lightened flywheels?

No they dont, they will use genuine parts and have it tested like anybody that has a brain would do.

As for the above, most folk have it covered BUT you dont need to balance the rotating mass if you dont have the cash. Will only really help you if reving higher than usual all the time, to keep it smoother.

No issues here after 30k on mine. :D

And do you really think these manufacturers forge there own material to make lightened flywheels?

No they dont, they will use genuine parts and have it tested like anybody that has a brain would do.

they actually use a different material, which has a higher tensile strength, this being able to cope with the stresses upon them, but with a total mass less than that of the standard.

im not arguing about it either, there are plenty of examples, with "lightened" flywheels failing. have a search, yes they may also be plenty, with them not failing, but why take the chance for the sake of £100?

everybody is entitled to there own opinion on it. mine has been said.

So your telling me they will have them brand new flywheels cast/forged to suit?? Seriusly they wont.

For the price of them, they wont make profit on them

Do you really think the STD flywheel is incabable of having the stresses upon it when lightened, there has to be a huge saftey margin(due to the reasons above, you pointed out) before it will go into production.

Your opinion is your opinion, but ill stand by mine and say the lightened flywheels on the market are manufactured from STD ones, that have been crack tested and balanced.

Toyota wouldnt use kek materials would they.

No arguement though its mearley opinions.

as soon as you machine it, you change the properties, and the way it deals wth stresses.

im sure cusco and fidanza both make there own.

here is asomething from the fidanza website

2. WHY DO YOU OFFER BOTH STEEL AND ALUMINUM FLYWHEELS? – Our steel flywheels are designed to be some the strongest flywheels on the market. They are designed to be used where extreme strength is the issue and not increased performance. Some examples of this would be in rock crawling vehicles and sand rails. Our aluminum flywheels are also very strong and will give a tremendous boost in performance without affecting driveability.

they are able to offer steel and aluminium, as the design there own.

here is something from Tm-developments

Cusco Super Light Chromoly Fly Wheel for the EP82 or EP91 Starlet with the 4E-FTE.

The weight of the flywheel is 4.1kg, 215mm in diameter and has 21 teeth. This is a great upgrade for your Starlet's stock flywheel. This is what is said about the Cusco Super

Light Chromoly Fly Wheel; " Not just light, the cutting edge design enables even rotation even from the low revs. The lightness enables swift revs up or down. The chromoly is precision machined by CNC machinery. The revs go up and down swiftly for quicker gear shifts. Faster times gained on 0-60m Acceleration runs and mid range gear

im sure you know what chromoly is?? if not, its just steel, which contains a higher count of carbon within it( contains chromium and molybednun). this increases its strength, which enables them to make them lightered, yet still retain the same factor of safety, the heavier, standard flywheel acheives.

i believe the standard one is cast steel.

have a look here, they also explain it on RHDjapan, in the sales pitch, stated, its made, not recut from a standard one.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/kameari-light-weig...a-58300?nflag=1