Is it worth remapping an N/A?

You can't map the standard ECU, you can only do that sort of thing on more modern cars generally

You'd need a E-Manage or similar, and you'd get a really small increase if anything, not really any point unless you were using ITB's or something.

My advice would be not to spend money on N/A tuning, I'm talking from experience money is so much better off spent on an FTE, you get much more for your cash! Save up and buy a GT/Glanza, you'll soon get bored of N/A power :)

Tbh gains are unknown....hardly any progress has been made on UKSC with the FE just ends with basic bolt-ons till enough coin is available for the FTE so people can convert

Its an amazing little engine imo much more reliable than the FTE for obvious reasons, i want to get mine on a SAFCII or something similar to see if i can improve fuel economy/performance

quote for mapping a SAFCII = 80

SAFCII unit itself = 100

fuel pressure reg = 50ish

It boils my blood when people say dont waste money on the FE and move to the FTE.....not everyone has the money to do it properly before anyone gets smarty it costs atleast 1000-1500

theres other management out there not just emanage...megasquirt,dastek etc can all be had for 100-150

Thanks for that lads, and yeh at the moment i AM bored with the power, but i cannot afford an fte, and with gains i have seen on alot of n/a engines i seem to think you may get decent gains? because the FE will not be mapped for power, economy and reliability will be what is aimed for, so sorting that out along with a few engine mods i think you should het a good gain.

And yeh joel your builds brilliant, keep on pushing the fe!

Didn't mean to make your blood boil Asad :):(

In my opinion money and effort spent remapping is more effective on a engine with forced induction, although it is of course interesting what people can extract from the 4efe!

Just not for me since I've seen how even cheap parts can have a much bigger effect on a 4efte rather than 4efe!

I completely agree with you Amjad, it will ALWAYS be easier to get gains on a turbo engine that an n/a with mapping and mods. but like i said the map on it now wont take to well to mods, and the general map will be eco, reliability,mpg based. im sure good gains could be gotten from it with a good setup! another thing is it will be alot easier for me to insure;)

Just unsure on what managment to use, and where to take it...

Lol ^

People who say convert should stop and think....what if he cant afford to? insurance? mabe he only has a couple of hundred to spend? can he afford to have the car off the road? what are his requirements from the car?

The cost spirals out of control with a FTE with the FE theres not much you can buy lol in that way you save.....i know for a fact the $40 i spend on petrol a week would be almost double that if i had a turbo!

again how do you know? have you tried it? its all hearsay wheres the dyno graph? proof that you spent loads and only got 10bhp? theres no proof suggesting mapping only gives a couple of bhp...the corolla mani adds roughly 10bhp = $30 whereas the FTE.....get a proper mani + decat and youll only see 10-20 extra and the cost???

port + polish the head

better cams

management

corolla/FTE inlet

bigger throttle body or a small one for torque

original exhaust possibly obx but as standard the the original exhaust is perfect (look at amjads dyno result and the other lads who had the obx)

nice exhaust

and the outcome???? ITBS??

hi

i chosen to stay with N/A power & done mods in stages

so a brief overview to date

1st stage : 2in sports exhaust inc extractors ( no noise) / eng management std 48kw gain =6kw now 54kw

2nd stage : rolla mani&T/B gain =5kw now 59kw

next mod i am ready to try ITB`s (recently purchased in UK)/ valve springs /camshafts/h/gasket gain =?????kw now ??kw

or option stay with rolla mani &T/B /valve springs / camshafts/ h/gasket / manifold T/B insulators gain =??kw now ??kw

as you can see the gains aren`t massive but all figures are ATW`s & every little bit helps

so i hazard a guess that 100HP is possible with a few bolt -on mods

to all the N/A lads stick with it no turbo is not the end of the world

lyle

sure what do we know asad we are just silly N/A drivers.

but to be frank we N/A drivers are the true enthusiasts for these cars as we actually have to sit down have a good hard think on how to make are cars better thats what i think anyway.

Thanks for that achiever, and really we just need a list to work through, trd headgasket can also be added to that list?

hi

i got a h/gasket listed just didn`t call it TRD

another thing (not motor -related ) i have a twin-pot brake with no spacer test-fitted but not road tested DIY guide ready to post after road test

i have shown my project to some of the UK chaps

also full digital w/shop manual WIP

sorry to get off topic

lyle

You the man!! Took the words right outta my mouth, any tom dick n harry can get power out of a turbo aslong as hes got money getting power out of a N/A requires knowledge + money Which makes you a true enthusiast imo

by the way what clutch are you going for ^ add a fte clutch + flywheel to your list just for realiability can throw it around that bit more also coil packs to give a solid base to alter ignition

Was just thinking FTE clutch asad, and coilpacks are also a great addition.

Where could we make a list for progressing mods? (obviously inlet mani and exhaust first, then go on in cost/size of the mod?)

hi

talking about coilpacks

has the chap that got a 4-EFE fitted with them STD done any checking to see if they can be fitted to another 4E-FE ???

lyle