Suspension choices?

Hi all, new to these cars, came from a 400hp mr2 which i unfortunately recently wrote off. Soon to be the (hopefully) happy owner of a '97 sportif with a few mods already on it, but i'd like to take it further. Now i appreciate the n/a isn't ever going to set the road alight, but io also know they can be made to handle like nothing else. So my first (probably of many) question is, what is the best choice of suspension for these cars? I'm after the works, springs, shocks, roll bars, strut braces, the whole lot really.

Many thanks for any help.

Hi Mark :lol:

Welcome to UKSC

You will find this >>Suspension Access<< more helpful rather than a range of products just thrown in your face as it relates to your question.

Some useful hands on information there...

Im glad you are starting the journey to make your sportif a handling freak.

It really is a decent thing to do if you can get all the parts, you will be grinning uncontrollably afterwards.

Im on the same journey as you and am almost at the end of it with most of the parts u mentioned currently on my ep91 project, feel free to ask anything as I would be happy to help :lol:

Happy reading and talk soon.

Feel free to send a personal message.

Joz

Hi all, new to these cars, came from a 400hp mr2 which i unfortunately recently wrote off. Soon to be the (hopefully) happy owner of a '97 sportif with a few mods already on it, but i'd like to take it further. Now i appreciate the n/a isn't ever going to set the road alight, but io also know they can be made to handle like nothing else. So my first (probably of many) question is, what is the best choice of suspension for these cars? I'm after the works, springs, shocks, roll bars, strut braces, the whole lot really.

Many thanks for any help.

bahahaha, handle like nothing else?

the starlet has an apalling chassis to begin with. ALL of the suspension mods on the planet will only do so much. yes it'll handle much better (not saying much though :lol:) but it'll always play second fiddle to other naturally good handling hatches, the likes of clio's / 106's etc, which with a fraction of the work can become classes above handling wise.

you can improve on things but the chassis/setup as a core system on the starlet is flawed unfortunately.

Mine handles ok for the speeds I go round corners at -- I'm no loon, but I do know how to drive when it's needed, not like the wee corsa nobs I've seen landed in fields recently who lower their cars on Gmax springs and just chuck their cars round corners.

Can't beat the CRX for FWD handling!

Mine handles ok for the speeds I go round corners at -- I'm no loon, but I do know how to drive when it's needed, not like the wee corsa nobs I've seen landed in fields recently who lower their cars on Gmax springs and just chuck their cars round corners.

Can't beat the CRX for FWD handling!

same here mate, it does just about enough not to be shameful, but it really is borderline. compared to many MANY other hatchbacks they're just not upto the job really, but thats just due to inherent design flaws. they can be made adequate but will never be perfect unfortunately.

mine's 'acceptable' even without coilovers, but i've made my choice in wheel/tyre sizes and compounds etc to balance that out, so that it aint a total heap of shit in comparison to other capable hatches.

Cheers for the welcome guys. It is a step down yes, but i really don't want to pile that much money into a car again. I chose the n/a option as i knew if i went turbo again then i'd just go stupid with it again and build a monster. The problem with too much power is you have to concentrate too much on driving it and not actully enjoying it so much. I wanted a small cheap car that i could actually have some fun in again.

I'll probably still do the basic engine mods to it and although it's way overkill, i've still got the motec M4 from the mr2, so i'll be putting that on it to help with fuel economy and to gain whatever power i can with it.

Cheers for the advise on the suspension, just need to pick up the car now (hopefully this weekend) and then i can start playing. :lol:

Groovy, keep us updated with your plans Mark :lol:

Once you've picked it up and got it home would be a good idea putting up some pics and info in the extreem ep rides section - is a good place to document your progress and plans.

Starlet's are good fun so enjoy ! :lol:

Groovy, keep us updated with your plans Mark :lol:

Once you've picked it up and got it home would be a good idea putting up some pics and info in the extreem ep rides section - is a good place to document your progress and plans.

Starlet's are good fun so enjoy ! :lol:

It's already a member on here's car. It belongs to Earl at the moment, but yes, i'll take some pics and post them up. And i shall keep you all up to date with it's progress. :p

Yes. My good mate Mr Edwards, decided that a more normal manner of direction wasn't good enough, and decided that his wonderful MR2 would be more suited to driving backwards at 60mph, when this happened...

DSC02088.jpg

It did look like this...

MarkEdwardsMag.jpg

But, as they say, all good things... come to a crunching, splintering, back aching, head banging, end.

So he's buying my Starlet off me. :lol:

...and I'm buying another one. When I've finished running my MR2 in. :lol:

EarL.

Haha. Man Thats come collision on the back.

Yeah, it wasn't pleasant. I should have come out of it a lot worse at that speed though, all i got was aching neck muscles 2 days later and a small graze on the back of my head. My saving grace was the newly fitted corbeau pro series seats.