nzEP85's ...um... EP85

Thought id chuck my cars thread up here, pretty much copied from Starlet Central so sorry if the grammer is a bit fail.

Heres some photos the previous owner took.

1002097g.jpg

1002100.jpg

1002099n.jpg

Brought it off a lovely old lady who used if for daily driving to the city, till she started taking the bus to save petrol/parking.

Comes with the mighty 4E-FE and C50F 4WD box

Everything is stock standard, apart from the prerequisite fluffy seat covers and battery. It also came with the factory owners manual, full service history and was serviced every 2000kms :shock: ;).

Was stoked to find it fully optioned with factory power windows, air con, power steering, factory toyota cd/tape unit and mud-flaps :( . Doesn't help in the weight department though :)

Took the car to the dyno for lol's, and found out the viscous coupling had split. So after some wallet lightening I got myself a brand new EP95 one.

p1000191g.jpg

p1000190f.jpg

Then went to a friends to fit the drive-shaft. Some of you may have seen this post on tgtt

First things first, car was jacked up so the wheels could spin freely.

p1000268e.jpg

p1000267.jpg

Managed to get a decent look at the old shaft, note the huge amount of fluid sprayed on the underside.

p1000269n.jpg

So took it out and laid it next to the new EP95 one.

p1000270q.jpg

A few things that were slightly different became apparent.

Firstly the mount points for the exhaust hanger thing are on opposite sides, not a huge deal as the factory exhaust is fine without it.

Old

p1000271kf.jpg

New

p1000272d.jpg

Secondly the lengths are also slightly different, also not a problem as the mounts have room for the bolts to slide.

The major difference however is the flange on the transfer case side. The holes were out a few mm's

p1000274.jpg

p1000275w.jpg

So after thinking about it for a while, we decided to see if we could swap the flanges around.

If you look carefully at the photo two back, you'll notice the special 'deformed' nut.

In order to get this off you need to either, stick a small flat screwdriver down the hole (hard), or grind some of the top corner where the hole is to make it bigger (what we did)

Then its just the simple step of putting the old flange on, which bolts straight on.

p1000278n.jpg

And putting it back in the car.

p1000281.jpg

Big thanks to Fatman/Greg for helping with the install and pretty much figuring out how to make it work :)

Got a set of genuine TOM's C2 wheels from one of the starlet central members that I managed to pick up for next to nothing. Was after a specific size (185/55R14) as I was after a low sidewall and it also helped to keep the speedo accurate. After doing a bit of browsing around the local tyre shops, I settled for a set of GT radial Champiro GT. Was originally after the Champiro GTX but found out they was recently discontinued.

p1000330w.jpg

p1000331r.jpg

PS. This made me laugh

p1000333.jpg

More recently ive had the boot resprayed and am looking at an alarm.

Still tossing up whether or not to lower it and go 4E-FTE, not sure how far I want to take this car.

• 2 weeks later...
cool car dude

fte it as it would be a cool sleeper

kurt

But a little thinking from abroad... if your put the old flange on the new item. That is not enough balanced in totally, cause of weight within the two (different) parts.

It shouldn't be a problem but within time it should matter i think, maybe worth thinking about.

Also the 5-door version are not common, one of the uniquest starlet to have. Some twisting about the looks of the 3-door is better. I like that both. So in a way i still like it because of it is a (unique) Starlet.

I am the first in Holland (i think) with a EP85. And they are a few EP95 present that i am aware off in the Netherlands. And now i am the "first" over here with a EP85 :lol:

GL with your 4wd!

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't had a problem with the viscous coupling since replacing it, don't imagine I ever will, its just replacing a balanced part with a smaller balanced part, weight has nothing to do with it. Yeah the 5 door versions are ugly, would have much preferred a 3 door but managed to pick this up for an unbelievable price considering the condition and kms.

what mike is getting at is that the old flange will have been balanced has a whole unit with the new coupling and the one you fitted will have been balanced as a whole unit to the old coupling. maybe its fine now as its only got a small amount of power going though it so no real strain but if you plan on putting some power though it i would want to get it checked.