Engine Failures

Hi guys,

Firstly I think we already have a similar thread but I can't find it anywhere, or I may just be slightly blind.

This is just a thread to show us what failed on your engine, and what year your car is. People tend to believe the Mark 1 GT engines with the silver cam belt covers are the strongest, and the Glanzas being the weakest with the thin rods.

Pictures of your buggered engines would be a bonus too, and as much detail on what went wrong would be great.

I'll start..

1996 Glanza - Headgasket failure

I bought the car with the damage already done, I'm not sure what exactly went wrong in the first place, however it was suffering from a bad repair when I owned the car as the previous owner had a new gasket fitted but it didn't fix anything.

1993 GT Turbo - Piston cracked

Again, I bought the car with the damage already done. The previous owner suspects a cracked piston, the car misfires and throws smoke out of the PCV valve. I will be stripping this to see the trouble in a couple of weeks. :)

1991 GT Turbo - Oil pump failure

This was one of the engines my brother fitted to his. It lost oil pressure, it may have been a high mileage engine and maybe could have done with a refurb. We wasn't aware of this though, as the seller did tell a good few lies about the condition/mileage when he bought it.

Idrees

engine from a 1996 auto glanza running 1.2 bar on a hybrid.

piston failure. cracked and broken at ringland

bottom end from a gt rebuilt with used pistons.

rat at same spec for about 6 months then another broken ringland on a piston.