number plate size

hi guys, wanted to know whats the smallest a number plate can be?

and is it legal to cut a normal number plate?

as in cut a standard plate down to just the letters?

thanks

ishaq

• 2 weeks later...

yeah i think you need a certain amount of the reflective showing on the pate to get away with it providing you dont mess with the size of the lettering as bloke i work with cut his square plates down to the font on his glanza and was ok never got pulled etc, but i think for mot standards you need certain amount of reflective and right size font

id just keep a spare set and temporarily attach for mot etc, that way best of both worlds mate

Google it number plate regulations so long as the letters and numbers are the correct size and spaced you need something like 11mm between the edge of the letters and edge of the plate.

thanks for info luke

If its imported you can get away with 64mm high letters, but its gotta have a 10mm border with the bs number in the bottom corner. Best thing to do is get onto CRAIGS PLATES and order the smallest legal size, I think it is 410mm x 90mm and the bs number says "import" next to it in really small letters. I've been pulled twice and got away with it thro that, and it looks good