Paseo Questions

I have no idea what I'm going to do for my next car, I have so much shit to sort out before thinking about driving again but I'm considering getting a Paseo just to get me around for a bit.

I can't see myself going back to a non turbo Starlet after having two of them already and then a CRX, but seeing as the Paseo has got a reasonably good interior and looks sporty without standing out too much and being mechanically the same as a Starlet I thought it would be a good choice.

Few questions:

What are they like to drive compared to Starlets? One of the things I really didn't like about the Starlet was the seating position and the seat itself, the Paseo looks like it's a lot better?

Is the suspension identical to the Starlet i.e. are lowering springs and things like that all the same? GT/Glanza strut braces fit aswell?

Do they do them without power steering?

Any common faults? I wouldn't have thought so but better to ask anyway.

Does the Corolla inlet manifold benefit the 5EFE the same way it does the 4EFE?

I doubt I'd spend much on it, lowering springs, some nice wheels and a decent stereo...

suspension is the same, wait for a reply on the strut braces

they all have PS

same running gear so same faults as the N/A unless theres trim specific faults theres nothing to worry about

Yeah just throwing ideas around at the moment, also thought of a Corolla G6, or maybe an older Corolla, Starlet GT, Honda Civic, another CRX, etc... but not going to get too excited about it yet, concentrating on getting better and sorting everything out first. I do want another CRX at some point, might even get another as a track car.

I'm healing up fairly well mate thanks for asking, cuts and bruises are okay, stitches are healing well. My shoulder is getting better although there's now a lump on it lol, the only real bad thing is my right foot is still swollen and I can't walk on it, if I move it in the wrong way it's very painful, I fear it may be fractured even though I was X-rayed they might not have noticed it.

Think the main two questions are boost or N/A......honda or toyota

Nice to hear it buddy, if your not sure pay the hosp another visit just go straight to A+E and get it checked out again! dont want a dodgy right foot when you start driving again f**k that!

I cannot comparatively describe the Paseo against the Starlet, that being said though if such things matter, it has a stiffer bodyshell (smaller roof area, rear bulkhead), lower center of gravity, and is quite aerodynamic, especially for its age. It does weigh a bit more than a Starlet, but I would think the short gearing of the C15# Gearboxes can compensate for this, especially when used with a 4E-FTE etc. It has a longer wheelbase, which accounts for the majority of the length increase, which would probably make the car feel somewhat less immediate than a Starlet, but perhaps slightly better riding and more stable at speed. They also have a marginally wider track, and I noticed that the steering arm on the hubs were shorter on the Paseo, thus possibly making for a quicker steering ratio - the steering is fine on them, I hate powersteering, but with the powersteering removed, at speed its no heavier than with the PAS in situ'. Steering directness is improved NO end with a lower control arm brace.

Suspension is basically identical, more so for the EP82 [i.e. for control arm bushes and rear axle bushes] - the only issue is with rear strut braces, that require some careful "massaging" of the rear bulkhead lip, and front 3 point ones [i.e. Carbing], as the bulkhead seems to be shaped differently.

Otherwise, its basically a prettier Starlet, with even less rear room.

the paseo st comes with no abs and the paseo si and galliano come with abs. the galliano comes only in yellow but has a full factory lip kit which are usually hard to find.

The ST does not have ABS, as above, and the Si & Galliano do, as above, but the Galliano only comes with the front lip as standard, the sides and rear were added to my mums after we had bought it.

The Si has a sony CD player, ABS, 14" Griffin Alloys and a Bootspoiler as standard. The ST has sony cassette and 14" steels with trims, or can have the optional alloys and bootspoiler is also optional. ABS isn't found though.

Starlet parts are shared quite nicely. Suspension and Strut Braces all fit (rear ones though, no point, it has a rear bulkhead instead, unless you pull a Riko and cut that out to make way for a strut brace) and the brakes are the same too. I'm running groved discs and EBC green stuff pads. I have the GT Turbo rear hubs too, to bring rear discs. They don't make amazing difference though, just as useful as the standard drums.

The Corolla inlet mani does make considerable difference to the Paseo. I believe it has a small impact on my MPG (that or i'm leadfoot..) but you get much higher torque above 3000rpm.

Theres not much difference in insurance prices between all models to be fair, as none have any different engine components, just ABS.

All Paseos have electric windows, electric mirrors, power steering, tilt/remove sunroof, drivers and passengers SRS airbags and the usual features. Bonus points to getting the lip kit, foglights, spoiler etc too!

Good luck bro!

Cheers for the replies, it seems a Paseo is the way to go, infact even though I had a CRX I'm almost excited at the idea of going back to a Toyota, I loved my Starlet, and would really like a turbo one but there's something about driving a "slow" car and making it go fast round corners that makes driving fun.

The other car I've considered is an MG ZR 1.4, they look okay and have a nice interior, and basically everything I want (other than a decent sound system) so I wouldn't have to do anything to it, although they are more expensive than Paseo's and less reliable and not as well built.

What are Paseo's like on Starlet lowering springs? Do they sit right on them or does the difference in weight affect it?

I don't know what the weight distribution differences are like between the cars, and the weight increase is minimal, by the order of around 60-80kg, so I wouldn't think the rates would be too far out.

However, what I can recommend is to avoid the apparent "Perfect" combination of KYB SS Shocks with RS*R Springs. It was a horrible combination. Sat well [around a 40mm reduction in height], but the springs were too soft for the shock absorbers, the rebound was fairly vicious, actually causing loss of traction on bumpy stretches of road.

I had a similar setup on my old Starlet, on smooth roads it was excellent, handled brilliantly but on bumpy roads it wasn't nice at all.

I guess the rear anti roll bar mod works the same on the Paseo as on the Starlet aswell?

Exactly - it would trigger the ABS on a bone-dry road surface not even going fast or braking hard, it was [pun very much intended] shocking

Indeed it would - basically any and all suspension hard points and attachments, are the same, with a predominance of EP82 influence, for example using EP82 type front anti-roll bar endlinks, front control arm bush diameters, rear axle bushes and so on. The only differences are with the chassis length. That being said, a LOT more space in the engine bay as well, bigger radiator and so on. One benefit I found is that there is sufficient space as well to have intercooler piping go around the radiator, thus shortening intercooler piping length and not taking the absurd rollercoaster paths the Starlet ones seem to. And if you want to do a 4E transplant, the mechanic Toby used to use is not far from you in Droitwich, and he's worked on Paseos. I.e. Mine :thumbsup: