Sluggish to pick up

Hi, had a lot of problems with this car it's a 96 auto glanza, got most problems sorted now except the slow pickup from standstill. When i first had the car it would accelerate quite fast since the turbo blew and a few other parts were replaced it's never been back to how it was. I've narrowed it down to the following:

1. Fuel pump pushing too much fuel/FPR faulty (I don't know if this is possible) and too much fuel is getting to the injectors

2. Faulty injectors

3. Base timing incorrect, I have checked the timing and it appears to be set correctly. Could it need tweaking?

I have changed distributer cap, HT leads, plugs, fuel pump (its not the OEM one it's an uprated Walbro? pump)

The car also holds back when kicking down to 2nd around 4000 RPM and also struggles in 3rd at around 5000 RPM (may just have run out of puff on the last one.

Any advice appreciated.

Did you check to see if the new turbo has a huge crack in the waste gate because if it's cracked all the way through I would say that not helping low down spool up plus when my was auto found who ever fitted the cam belt put it on 1 tooth wrong making my boost start late on in the rev range

After i gave mine to a garage, god knows what they did it was never the same acceleration! My guess would be to do with oil in places where its not suppost to. try to get a car behind you (at night time) then do a kick down and see if there is smoke or shit out the exhaust. i know mine did this for a while untill i cleared feed/return lines and then it was abit better. Maybe you could try this. Also check if there is oil in intercooler piping.

Did you check to see if the new turbo has a huge crack in the waste gate because if it's cracked all the way through I would say that not helping low down spool up plus when my was auto found who ever fitted the cam belt put it on 1 tooth wrong making my boost start late on in the rev range

Turbo was brand new so it definately wasn't cracked. It spools around 2500 RPM I don't think it's a turbo problem. I will check the cam belt. It has had a new cam belt.

this is very strange as when my turbo blew up in my GT ep82 auto totally agree it never felt the same at all it was really shite and was fuel cutting so bad! aye just threw loads of mods at it thow so it solved my problem was much quicker but yea very annoying if you are just wanting the stock power still!!

this is very strange as when my turbo blew up in my GT ep82 auto totally agree it never felt the same at all it was really shite and was fuel cutting so bad! aye just threw loads of mods at it thow so it solved my problem was much quicker but yea very annoying if you are just wanting the stock power still!!

So what mods did you do to restore the initial pickup? Mine doesn't fuel cut, and is set to 0.7 bar, turbo pulls ok as far as i can tell, holds 0.7 all the way up in first, just plays around on kick down at 4000 RPM and when it gets to 5100 RPM almost like flat spots.

if u hav got a fuel cut defender fitted then disconnect it and try that. mine used to do the same but wen i tuk the fcd off it pulled like a train agen.

So what mods did you do to restore the initial pickup? Mine doesn't fuel cut, and is set to 0.7 bar, turbo pulls ok as far as i can tell, holds 0.7 all the way up in first, just plays around on kick down at 4000 RPM and when it gets to 5100 RPM almost like flat spots.

ok. i would try the map sensor then and these cars are more fun wen u turn the boost up lol.

Anyone got the MAP sensor part number? I'll give it a try, having read up on what it does it could explain the holding back on kick down too.

@batmanglanza - I don't have an FCD as i've no plans to go above 0.7 BAR

Ok, after a little more research it would appear it could be down to having changed from the standard exhaust to the HKS Hi-Power silent it's now missing the torque lower down the rev range.

Obviously with an auto this low down torque is very necessary so how can i get some back. I have been told i can adjust timing and this will improve it, anyone tried this? Is it safe to do?

Extra mods shouldn't make the car any less responsive, an exhaust if anything providing better flow would increase throttle response... better flow= more torque.

You say you had the cambelt done? might well be a tooth out on the cam timing... happened to me and car felt like crap, almost as if your driving through water, the car wants to go but just wont!

if the cam timing is fine then check the map sensor also could be your knock sensor? pulling timing and making it sluggish. check those and if still nothing could be the coil pack. but you saying it doesn't kick down properly would make me think its a sensor issue telling the ecu to retard the timing to keep the engine safe

dont worry though it will be something little and once sorted it will drive and kick like a mofo again :lol:

Extra mods shouldn't make the car any less responsive, an exhaust if anything providing better flow would increase throttle response... better flow= more torque.

You say you had the cambelt done? might well be a tooth out on the cam timing... happened to me and car felt like crap, almost as if your driving through water, the car wants to go but just wont!

if the cam timing is fine then check the map sensor also could be your knock sensor? pulling timing and making it sluggish. check those and if still nothing could be the coil pack. but you saying it doesn't kick down properly would make me think its a sensor issue telling the ecu to retard the timing to keep the engine safe

dont worry though it will be something little and once sorted it will drive and kick like a mofo again :lol:

The car does go fine, it is just sluggish to pull away before the turbo kicks in and if i keep my footdown then it goes through 1,2 &3 fine the holding back on kick down is kind of odd, I will try and video the rev counter over the weekend, it also dies a bit around 5500 RPM when accelerating in 4th.

If the sensors are faulty would it not show in diagnostics? I will check the cam belt myself to make sure this is correct.

Thanks

it would be hard to see if the cam timing is off by a tooth by eye... unless you get up close and check the alignment.

these cars are so old the yes some faults might come up on the diagnostic but i found my knock sensor didnt, its tricky but you just got to cross one thing off at a time until you find the bugger!