Engine pulley

• 5 weeks later...

Ive never hear of this happening, the pulley you have circled above bolts on to the crank and aligned with a woodruf key, the only this i can think of is that the bolt has come loose and the pulley has come away from the woodruf key and the crank is spinning inside the pulley :S Im confused hahah

dont the crank pully have a damper in it ?

Yeah some of them.

The larger pulley (the one at the back that drives the alt pulley) is separated/isolated from it's mounting flange by a rubber bush, It's a Harmonic Balancer Pulley. My guess is that the rubber is starting to come away from the mounting flange or the pulley. The smaller pulley is mounted directly to the other ones flange by 4 bolts on most of them. Some don't have Harmonic Balancers and the whole pulley is solid.

I have seen this pulley wobble so much and for so long that it cut/ground it's self clean through the bottom cam belt cover. Don't let it get that bad, in theory the pulley could detach itself at any time. It will need replacing and they can be a little hard to get off.

Gavin

ye, went to local scrappers today and they had none, hardly even had any toyotas in, was very dissapointed, theres a llightweight one on ebay atm for £75, so gonna ask around first if nothin comes think im gonna have to get that, atleast itll be nicen shiny if i do ;)

sorry my bad miss read what you were saying, yes power steering is on one belt and alternator is on the other, but its the pulley that they both go too that has broken the rubber seal has broken on the larger rear pulley ( the one the alternator goes tooo) :p

• 3 weeks later...