The brother and I run an EP91 that we use for night nav rallys and short stage clubman rallies, think theres a thread on it over in the "Members Rides" section (brother is navrallystarlet).

The rear shocks are kaput so we're looking at an upgrade when replacing. Ideally we need to gain an inch or so in ride height over standard. Coilovers etc simply isnt an option, we're in this branch of motorsport for a bit of cheap fun, spending £650 on suspension for a £360 car is a non-starter.

So following a few questions elsewhere we're steering down the road of KYB Excel-G gas shocks all round to start, with the possibility of adding Tein springs (would really like the part number for these) which a few users have reported sit a bit higher than standard.

We're also looking a the possibility of using coil spring spacers to increase ride height.

So in short, has anyone else used spring spacers, if so how reliable are they, do they have an effect on handling (good or bad)? We need ride height for clearance over rough terrain but can't afford to turn the car into a dog at the same time.

All input appreciated!!!

a friend of mine used spring spacers on his focus. and it was like getting a set of some hardcore coilovers and putting them on the stiffest setting u could feel every lump in road shoot up your spine was realy bad. but that mighta been down to the spaces he had he ended up going in to a garage and just asking for spring spacers to lift the back up and went for cheapest set of spacers.

handling wise i couldnt tell u since he drove like a granny to save his massssssssivly over the top body kit from getting marked :).

a friend of mine used spring spacers on his focus. and it was like getting a set of some hardcore coilovers and putting them on the stiffest setting u could feel every lump in road shoot up your spine was realy bad. but that mighta been down to the spaces he had he ended up going in to a garage and just asking for spring spacers to lift the back up and went for cheapest set of spacers.

handling wise i couldnt tell u since he drove like a granny to save his massssssssivly over the top body kit from getting marked :o.

Was his setup stiff and low before he put the spacers on, i.e. was it definitely the spacers that caused the hard ride?

it was semi stiff before he put them on but id say spacers def made it worse he did have masssive spacers on it tho.

when he got the car it was striped in the rear and the wheels were tucked quite nicely in the archers he then got some rear seats and a tonne of audio and the wheel archer was just sitting bang on the tyres so he couldnt even drive the car lol. think it was 2inches he raised it to give him enought clearance in the archers to drive round and be able to make it over speed bumps going in to his work

Well we opted for KYB shocks and Kilen standard rear springs with no spacers - the new setup seems to have raised the car by a good 35mm although the previous setup was a mix and match job of very dubious quality and one shock was so leaking comedy proportions of oil.

Car is handling very well now so all happy!