Hi,

Im thinking of getting a 3-gauge pillar-mount pod and some gauges, but not sure what to go for...

as i understand it, air/fuel gauges and vacuum gauges are just pointless flashing lights...

since oil temperature/pressure is so important in a turbo car, i was thinking of seperate analog gauges - but should i go for mechanical or electrical? and which would be easier to fit?

I was also thinking of a proper boost gauge which will help me tune the HKS actuator when I get it

anyone any suggestions?

thnx

The electronic or mechanical gauge question is one of budget -- How much are you willing to pay? An electronic Boost gauge can cost £80-£100 then you need the control unit, same price again for oil temp/pressure gauge. Mechanical gauges are cheaper, but you need to run a vac line/oil line into the cabin. As for fitting they both get plumbed in the same way except mechanical you run directly to the gauge in the cabin whereas the electronic you run to the control unit then run a cable into the cabin.

Where are you getting a 3gauge pillar pod from? Is it a universal one off Ebay? The only starlet specific ones are 2gauge.

And yes the A/F gauges you see on ebay are pretty pointless -- if you wanted one of them I could show you a tutorial how to make your own from a circuit board and LED's. They only show massive lean spots or massive rich spots, not very sensitive in between. If you got a Wideband Lambda sensor and gauge that would be a different story. but they're about £300+

I'm looking to get these badboys after I do a huge service this month...

149e43c8dbmeterrsat1.jpg

HKS DB RS meters

sory for the thred hi-jack how much will those bad boys skin you Adrian?

and why are you not goin for defi any more?

lastly do you know how much a defi control unit costs second hand ????

The Defis are more expensive than the HKS gauges by quite a bit... So just trying to limit my spending as I'm currently scraping together abot £300 for a major service I'm gonna do.

I'm getting the HKS gauges brand new for:

Boost: Y16800 (£71.30)

Oil Pressure: Y19800 (£84.00)

Oil Temp: Y13900 (£58.00)

Control Unit: Y8400 (£35.00)

Then whatever shipping is gonna cost me...

The same place sells the defi control unit for:

Y9500 (£40)

for a pod you'll want to go to Nomad racing mate, or ebay (cheap as chips on ebay).

in regards to those gauges, they look like complete shit, but thats just my opinion.

Stick with JDM manufacturers mate, mechanical JDM gauges can be had relatively cheap if you dont go for one with an electrical control unit, but definately stick with blitz/apexi/hks/defi/omori/sard etc etc (could be here for a while :lol:)

thats alot for the gauges from japan

No they're off an australian site -- not too expensive, a lot cheaper than you can get them in the UK anyway.

plus you get that jdm slagness with em

I've got enough JDM stoor floating around my car for now mate :lol: If you see any purdy electronic gauges cheaper than that give me a shout, won't be getting them for another couple months anyway.