How to tighten head bolts down properly

Yo guys, Got my head bolts from toyota and my torque wrench,

Just wondered how your meant to tighten them down, I no its 22nm then 44nm then a 90* turn? Think thats correct?

But do you just turn the bolts in the correct order to 22nm leave them to 'stretch' then to 44nm to 'strech' some more, then 90*?

Thanks for any help given

P

I don't think you have to wait for them to stretch. I'm guessing you'll be tightening them all to 22nm so the head settles and then tightening them all to 44nm to tighten it down evenly ;) I've never put the head back on a 4E- engine but that sounds about right to me :D

I thought the same but someone told me you had to do so much them leave them :S

Wanted to just make sure..

Cheers for the advice mate,

Any more ideas on this??

phil

Hi,

For torqueing the head down you don't have to wait before continueing, just torque them all first then go over again with 44nm then go back over with the 90 degrees.

Just make sure you tighten them down equally so the heads seats equally, start from the middle and work your way out evenly.

As for the 90 degrees a handy tip is to put a Mark of tipex on each head bolt at the timing belt side of the bolt head then it's easier to determine when you are at 90 degrees unless you have a torque angle gauge

Thanks

Gary