Gone to the dark side...

There are plenty of the later model L series diesels (Rover 25/45, MG ZR/ZT) running 150bhp, on the standard turbo and uprated injectors (along with at least a remap, upped boost and decat), but that's about their limit. These earlier models (Rover 200/400/600) can get an easy 125-130bhp/200ftlb with just a boost increase, tuning box and a decat, but past that they are limited by both the injectors and turbo.

There are a few members on the MG/Rover forum building 200bhp machines but they have much bigger VNT turbos and big injectors.

So I'm aiming to get a nice power figure but without losing the low end torque. It already feels "quick enough" as a road car but me being me I can't help myself and always want more. The turbo and injectors I have in mind *should* be capable of more than 160bhp, but it's all just theory at the moment.

Basically as the end product I want a comfortable, quick, nice to drive road car, but all in a small package. And cheap.

I'm happy with the suspension as it is, might upgrade the brakes, but it's the engine that wants bringing up to modern standards. The pump is pretty old fashioned but it does the job. The turbo swap might end up costing about as much as the car is worth but it should make a good difference. Pretty much all modern diesels have VNT turbos now.

• 1 month later...