Gone to the dark side...

I won this on ebay a couple of days ago:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

And picked up a new turbo for it today for £55. ;)

Got some plans for it, they're quite easy to tune and can fit most of the MG ZR body/interior parts so I should end up with a nice little car once I've spent a bit of money on it.

Will update soon, picking the car up on wednesday.

Bit of a downgrade from the CRX but oh well.

Changed the turbo today, didn't quite finish still got to bolt the exhaust back on, but apart from that it's done.

The old turbo was so fucked, massive amount of play in the shaft the fans were bent to fuck, worst turbo I've ever seen.

The battery is on charge, getting some tyres swapped over tomorrow so once that's done it'll be a decent car, the interior is slightly tatty in some places but just needs a good clean inside, clean and polish on the outside, and it will be looking nice. :)

i luv these when i was growing up my mates dad(nutter driver at the time) has one of these but just the sd model not the sdi, it stilll flew for what itwas, must be the torque,

aye im into then get the boost whacked up on her lol :)

Yeah they feel quite nippy for what they are, not the most responsive of things though.

Had a bad couple of days getting the turbo swapped over. First problem I had was the usual hard to reach/stiff bolts. Got them sorted in the end. The next day I snapped a bolt on the turbo oil return. Then the engine tried to run away but luckily stopped. I also suspect that the turbo I've bought is also on it's way out because there's still a lot of smoke but I think it might be just old oil in the pipes left from the last turbo.

• 5 months later...

Little update on this, I've ordered a decat and tuning box for it so with those fitted and the boost turned up to 19 psi it should be around 130bhp. They're 100bhp standard so a good increase for less than £100. :)

Have also fitted some nice MG ZR seats for £50, bargain.

Next on the cards is a FMIC, air filter and backbox, MG ZR suspension, big brakes (282mm) and maybe a bigger turbo!

What engine? You'd be surprised, the diesels are pretty nippy.

1.4 105bhp, mate has the 2.0td, last dynoed at 132bhp, manages to keep up at first but due to the far better rev range of the petrol mine just leaves it, also being lighter too, runs rings round his on bends. Only good thing about the diesels is some have the vented brake setup, do pull well though, would definitely have one as a daily, but due to getting a company car soon i've gotta make way, cant keep 3 cars at the house lol, otherwise i'd keep mine

D

where did u get tuning box from?? and how much??

£45 from someone on MG-Rover.org, it's a TU1 tuning box which are now discontinued but occasionally come up for sale.

Tuning box turned up today so got it fitted, not had a chance to properly tweak the settings but it's made a good difference, well worth £45! Bucket loads of torque and pulls more up higher in the rev range than it did before.

Just got to wait til my decat arrives then turn the boost up to 19 psi. :o

Really need to get some piccys up, bit boring without pictures!

But my decat arrived yesterday, so I got it on the car, slight improvement in power but a big improvement on the rev range, turbo comes in easier and it now revs nicely up to 4500rpm (not that you need to rev it that high) whereas before it didn't really go anywhere past 3.5k when standard or 4k with just the tuning box.

I just need to set the boost up now, should clear up some of the smoke when it's at 19psi.

It's so nice to drive, can't get enough of it, it's not exactly setting the world alight but the accelleration is fairly brisk and it's "fast" from A to B even when hardly touching the throttle. Such a different style of driving to a revvy petrol.

Don't you just love how people slag Rovers/MG's off till they actually own one haha!

D

Haha, I didn't think I'd ever own 1. a diesel or 2. a Rover. Now I have both. :thumbsup:

I thought it was going to be a big come down going from an 8k rpm VTEC screamer to this, but I actually love it. If I ever get another petrol car it will have to be turbocharged though.

Haha, I didn't think I'd ever own 1. a diesel or 2. a Rover. Now I have both. :)

I thought it was going to be a big come down going from an 8k rpm VTEC screamer to this, but I actually love it. If I ever get another petrol car it will have to be turbocharged though.

Haha, they are really good when they work lol. I went out in my mates ZR TD yesterday and the sheer torque from low revs is immense lol! Even though i've got the glanza i'm tempted to keep the ZR!

D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looking through the camera and came accross a pic of the car so thought I'd upload it seeing as I don't have any, ignore the ex gf in the driver's seat lol...

s1051977.jpg

It had a service just over a month ago and recently had 2 new tyres.

The plan for 2012 is to upgrade the turbo to a VNT, which basically means it'll be capable of more power, without any more lag. (Google variable nozzle turbine if you've not heard of them), along with some bigger injectors as long as they don't hurt MPG too much. I'm aiming for a nice reliable 160bhp which should be easy to achieve on that sort of setup.