big brakes 280mm

<h2 class="title icon"> icon1.gif </h2>

Ok then, This is my first attempt so if it goes wrong plz dont get on at me. I've decided to go the gt4 route mainly because of cost but to be honest when i done it after the the st182 twin pots i decided to buy all new because it was stayin on, As you all know standard brakes are rubbish, Twin pots abit better, This set up much, Much better.

finished.jpg

Firstly get some astra cdti discs, There are 2 types one with a 70mm hole but get the one with the 60mm hole its almost a perfect fit. Take the discs to a machine shop and get them to take 1.5mm off the inside where it mates to the hub and 2.5mm off the outside diameter so it ends up 278mm

before machining

discbeforemachining.jpg

beforemachining.jpg

after machining

aftermachining.jpg

Stick your caliper on, Quick bleed and away you go...Happy days

Heres the difference in the caliper carriers as well

differenceincarriers.jpg

See how bigger the gt4 on the right is, I'd just like to say depending on which wheel you are using, I had to shave a little off the front of the caliper carrier and fit a 3mm spacer in £10 off e-bay for 4. The wheels i am getting there is no need for the spacer.

discs........£66

calipers....£100

machine...£20........£186...Best money i've spent on the car

readytoroll.jpg

Second hand discs and calipers you'll be grinning all day

Nice guide here! :p

Did you need anything else to fit the kit? Do the calipers and carriers simply bolt on with no modification?

Did you fit the spacer behind the brake disc?

Hi Amjad, No mate, Just get the discs machined and everything just bolts up as if they were normal glanza discs and calipers. Spacer goes on the outside of the disc, tried my mates wheels on and i didnt even need the spacer, Thanks mate

Awesome, so I'm guessing brake lines were unchanged, what did you do about pads?

Are these really powerful then? I'd love 4 pots but as a student they're way out of my price range

Awesome, so I'm guessing brake lines were unchanged, what did you do about pads?

Are these really powerful then? I'd love 4 pots but as a student they're way out of my price range

I've put braided lines on with the discs etc ( HEL £55 brakelines.co.uk) But if your sticking with the standard hoses thats fine they just bolt straight on (same banjo bolt) as gt4. Pads i've just stuck the standard celica ones on for now.

As for powerful tbh there alot better than standard but i was expecting better, I'm now going to look at getting rid of the abs as i think this maybe limiting the performance.

No brake fade whatsoever, Thanks mate