Car just serviced, but is this too much oil?

Hello all

I had my car serviced this morning and a full oil change and oil filter change was carried out. However the guy that did the oil change used around 500ml more than what should be used and at the time we looked at the dipstick and it was fine, probably as the engine was warm and new oil may have still been dripping down to the base.

However i got into work and let the engine cool down for around 4 hours. I've just checked my oil level and it is around 4mm above the maximum mark.

Is this ok or do I need to take some oil out, problem with taking oil out is that i can't do it till the weekend as i really need my car for essential work purposes until then. Is it ok to still run or would it cause any damage to the engine or any other component(s)?

Also can i get the AA to come out and possibly drain some oil, could still this be done somehow by removing the oil cap. If they can i can ring them and say that i'm concerned about my oil level and don't want to break down and if they could send someone out?

Any info much appreciated.

Many thanks

Yes, literally 2 mins, I think its a Size14mm isn't it? ratchet that off drain a bit out. then just fill up if need be.

Try not to over rev when driving with too much oil in it though.

takes literally 2 mins to drain some oil mate, just wip out the sump plug catch the oil in a pan then pop the plug back in

hi mate

i haven't got the tools to do plus i'll have to get the car on a ramp or something

Is this something the AA can do for me as i've heard excessive oil could cause engine seal problems.

Thanks

we overfilled mine too much by probably that amount last nite, she's fine. plus, mine's leaking anyway, so it'll even out.

as said, if it really concerns u, 14mm socket and a basin and job done.

im not stressin about mine, and if streetracer, who's a trained toyota mechanic, says that 1/2 litre is ok, i wouldnt get too stressed. and this is coming from me, the guy ho stresses over EVERYTHING engine related!

Phil.

If you have to much it will build up pressure but I think you need a lot more than 4mm on your dip stick before it starts causing problems.

It might even burn a bit of oil so will eventually be at the correct level like Phil said.

* UPDATE *

I took mine back to the place i had its serviced and because the engine was warm the oil level seemed fine, but i had checked it before then it was still 4mm over the max mark.

They put it up on the ramp and removed around 400ml and they said it should be fine. However i've just inspected again this morning and it is still around 2.5mm above the max level. I thought that would have sorted it.

Can the AA come out and do this for me as i have to leave work early to get the garage and have to make back the time at work, whereas if i call the AA i can just pop out to the car and oil can be taken out.

Thanks

I know some members are saying it is ok, but there are others that are saying that it could cause problems.

Just need to know for defo as if its a bad thing then i'm tempted to call the AA so they can drain some how, i think they may have a device that goes down the dipstick hole and sucks some out.

Thanks