Quick ECU Question

Can anybody tell me if it's safe to open my plug and play ecu?

Will it cause any damage as I've heard that letting light inside will damage it. Although I can't see why, it's only a printed circuit board much like a pc.

Thanks

Luke

yeah also read you shouldnt expose some parts of the ecu to light, i would just leave it as long as it working?

yeah also read you shouldnt expose some parts of the ecu to light, i would just leave it as long as it working?

The EPROM will not erase just by opening it. They are UV erasable but most have stickers over the windows (on the photos I've seen of them opened) and my eraser takes 20mins to blank one, I'd guess that would be equivalent to leaving it in the sun for a couple of weeks.

You'll be fine just to pop it open to find what's rattling. If you feel like it could you put a sticker over the window and take a photo for me?

The EPROM will not erase just by opening it. They are UV erasable but most have stickers over the windows (on the photos I've seen of them opened) and my eraser takes 20mins to blank one, I'd guess that would be equivalent to leaving it in the sun for a couple of weeks.

You'll be fine just to pop it open to find what's rattling. If you feel like it could you put a sticker over the window and take a photo for me?

This, you get them on PCs, but you need shine a torch in it for like 10 minutes directly to open it

normal light would be like weeks in direct sunlight for enough UV rays

Ok after all that I opened it, it was just a small piece of glue that came adrift!

So I now have peace of mind :thumbsup:

I did take a quick picture whilst it was open I can post it up for you all to have a look tomorrow, although it looks just like a standard ECU.

It doesn't have a daughter board but I've read that not all them do?

Thanks for all your help, I was in panic mode :o