who is currently using ITB`s on aN/A ???

hi

as the title says i have a set-up currently & having a hard time getting it to run the way i bought it ( it was suipposed to be from a working car )

no critisism of previous owner he has been extremely helpful

i would like to talk / share with owners who have a set-up that functions well

or is it a tried unit that no-body likes ??

thanks for any useful info that i can get

lyle

what would you like to know?

hi

if you have a set-up that works would you share the technical side of your set-up

my problems areas

1 the cone air filters are too small &choke the air supply ( how did it function originally)

2 it was supposed to be running on a std ECU on a 5e ( i have tried to tune-on a microtech need new firmware so how did iit run well on a std ECU)

3 noticeable lack of vac supply ( so brake booster doesn`t work so well )

why did the set-up seem to work in the UK but i need to do some work inc possiblely another more ITB friendly ECU to get it happening in australia

it runs but not well & power gains were not anything to write home about

these originally belonged to steed . he has helped & answered all my queries so i`m not bagging the previous owner .

he wasn`t able to give me any indication on before &after HP figures so i`m in the dark there as to what to expect

what can possibly be the variable b/tween the 2 countries ???

i am slowly replacing the h/ware ie air cleaners / fitting a vac manifold etc

thanks for any thing you share

lyl e

big part of it running different will be the temps we get here in aus too bud, but running itb's u will always have trouble with vac lines and a lack of vac to run a map sensor also, so it will be reading a lower amount of vac and over fuel it straight up

big part of it running different will be the temps we get here in aus too bud, but running itb's u will always have trouble with vac lines and a lack of vac to run a map sensor also, so it will be reading a lower amount of vac and over fuel it straight up

hi

thanks surely the temp doesn`t change the vac , i know there is a lowering of vac from my research but this has no manifold or tank to help offset this ( any ideas on how to relieve this issue ,i can`t seem to find anything positive about how to fix this )

the microtech is proving a most unsuitable unit to tune without a firmware up-grade to set fuel as i understand that the ECU needs to beable to be set using the TPS rather than the MAP settings or a combo of both

so another ECU might be my next up-grade to sort fuel

lyle

1) you could run them without filters or make up an air box for them what diameter are the ports?

2) is it the same gen ECU? may have a different map or something??

3) not sure how the vac is set up but when i was reading up about itbs i got the general impression it was best to use one of the old injector ports to give the brake booster its own vac line instead of sharing with the map/frp etc

4) for now can you not try a SAFC and rrfpr combo to get the fueling right? this was the route i was going to go

Im not sure how thought out the process was when the previous seller put the kit together (intake diameter,runner length,intake port shape) ultimatley this is where if any power is to be had then theres the issue of getting the map perfect and moving onto the head modifications to make better use of the extra air

1) you could run them without filters or make up an air box for them what diameter are the ports?

2) is it the same gen ECU? may have a different map or something??

3) not sure how the vac is set up but when i was reading up about itbs i got the general impression it was best to use one of the old injector ports to give the brake booster its own vac line instead of sharing with the map/frp etc

4) for now can you not try a SAFC and rrfpr combo to get the fueling right? this was the route i was going to go

Im not sure how thought out the process was when the previous seller put the kit together (intake diameter,runner length,intake port shape) ultimatley this is where if any power is to be had then theres the issue of getting the map perfect and moving onto the head modifications to make better use of the extra air

1) you could run them without filters or make up an air box for them what diameter are the ports? i am going to put some socks on temporary i have an airbox planned with a BMC filter as soon as i get time to fabricate

2) is it the same gen ECU? may have a different map or something?? i had my microtech re-tuned but with the problems i had the result was dismissal

3) not sure how the vac is set up but when i was reading up about itbs i got the general impression it was best to use one of the old injector ports to give the brake booster its own vac line instead of sharing with the map/frp etc on this set-up the 4 runners are t-pieced &joined to the MAP sensor & b/booster . i am going to tidy the hoses & manifold the set-up to try & stabilise the vac

4) for now can you not try a SAFC and rrfpr combo to get the fueling right? this was the route i was going to go if microtech don`t modify the unit to tune fuel correctly i going to take the plunge & replace it with a unit that will fuel the ITB`s correctly instead of the mess i have currently

the runner length might not be mathmatically correct but is apparently somewhere near the mark to keep power at the lower to mid range as opposed to further up the range with a shorter runner i may well shorten slightly if i re-build the mani to address clearance issues should they arise when airbox is fabricated

everything i`ve been able to read on subject seems to have short slightly -angled runners so will see

thanks lyle

just a small one, i have a 4age 20v (run itb's stock) and i found out the other day whilst trolling the net that the feed to the map sensor has a small pressure equaliser to dampen any irregular flucuations in the vaccum, it looks like a small inline fuel filter or a large one way valve. i guess thats what the vaccum manifold should do but i would of thought that the 4age runs one of them anyway??

• 1 year later...