hi guys, well after being told yesterday that im being laid of from my job in the next two weeks due too the big boss wantin use of the workshop for auctions, pathetic excuse to get rid of the only welders he has lol...

anyway, been considerin for the last year or 2 wether too join the navy or raf as a mechanical engineer, quite a few of my mates were in the navy n travelled the world n loved it. has anyone here been involved in the forces at all an gogt any good and bad experiences and opinions or it?

just need help to clear the mind, cheers

Visit All the careers offices and see what is availble, dont make a rash decsion.

The forces can give you the employment but you will be away from friends and family and at present due to commitments a lot of the lads are doing back to back tours which while you are single is ok it is not when you are in a relationship/marriage.

You need to discuss with your family too mate.

John

fair enough what were they in ? young joiners? everyone i no whos been in the army or navy loved it, i want a professional career and also get too travel while working. with the chance of continuin when i come out. dreams though, not sure wether it would happen :lol:

Visit All the careers offices and see what is availble, dont make a rash decsion.

The forces can give you the employment but you will be away from friends and family and at present due to commitments a lot of the lads are doing back to back tours which while you are single is ok it is not when you are in a relationship/marriage.

You need to discuss with your family too mate.

John

ive been talkin too one of my mates who was doin the recruitment in swansea about it, also spoken to my father and step mother n they said go for it, because im not tied down i.e married or kids, ive got a gf but some tihngs can go on hold :lol: lol. my mother n sister live in scotland so im miles from them anyway , stayin away from home doesnt bother me at all lol..

thanks for the replys :lol:

Get your self on the cruise ships doing anything once your in you can train to be a croupier and make a fortune, go to nice parts of the world that aren't being bombed the shit out off get an amazing tan and get smashed on your nights off.when you have leave to take you come home with a fat wedge in your arse pocket too.

Only problem is its very long hours some shifts will be 18hours plus

Get your self on the cruise ships doing anything once your in you can train to be a croupier and make a fortune, go to nice parts of the world that aren't being bombed the shit out off get an amazing tan and get smashed on your nights off.when you have leave to take you come home with a fat wedge in your arse pocket too.

Only problem is its very long hours some shifts will be 18hours plus

sounds like fun, be a thing too look into, would love too get paid for travellin the world insttead of forkin out for it, but im still young and havent actually got any nvqs or nothing so wanted too get something sorted out but there seems too be no opportunites down here unless i move away.

My auntie worked on cruise ships as a beautician,and she hated it,also it was a agreed contract(don't really know the details)but she ended up haveing to work 5 years on the ships.I know she spent alot of the time going to calafornia,but she said she hardly had any time to enjoy herself as it was long hours,the only thing I do know is she managed to save enough money to pay a 60% deposit for a house( that was her goal ) she's now teaching in a college and never looked back

Oh yeah she did a faceial on rod Stewart while on the ships,and said he has a face like a prune lol

If I lost my gf and job etc I would be looking at the navy, purely for the fact it's one of the safest armed forces jobs going (how many subs/ships do you hear about getting sunk or attacked?)

My dad and brother have both been in the navy, my brother is a glorified waiter, and because he does a good job, he gets offers for extra work on other ships (navy, commercial and industrial) when he isnt serving as the captains and staff above him recommend him! The closest he's been to war is the falklands!

got a few mates in the army they say its pretty tough to be fair, one or 2 in the navy say its pretty good and a family member in the RAF loves it. the army boys seem to have the tough time especially out in places like iraq and arghanistan id imagine its pretty tough out there. atleast in the RAF say your not really out on the front line walking the dangerous streets id probably say thats the best option

but as stated i would do a lot of looking and thinking. dont jump into it 2 footed

December 11th this year i'm off to start my basic training in the Royal Navy. Signed up as an Air Engineering Technician (AET) and can't flippin wait! lol. If i have time and your still not in by next year i shall report back with what i make of it... haha :lol:

so many different opinions with the forces stuff and cruise ships sounds mental tbh, wouldnt join the army at all, parents would disown me for some reason they havent told me lol, everyone else ive spoken too reccommends the navy, i think id love it to be honest, travelling the world working.

December 11th this year i'm off to start my basic training in the Royal Navy. Signed up as an Air Engineering Technician (AET) and can't flippin wait! lol. If i have time and your still not in by next year i shall report back with what i make of it... haha :D

ha good luck dude :) if im not in by next year defo give me a heads up, never no i could get in for trainin same as you!!! air engineering technician sounds awesome, id be tryin too get in as a mechanical technician, marine engineering way.

good luck :D and cheers everyone for feedback

im in the army at the moment and it can get boring just standing round all day and getting paid for it. i suppose any job in the forces is wat u make of it and the decision is yours mate if u wanna join up go for it. as for bein away all the time find out wat there is near u cause im based an hour away from home in catterick and im home every weekend

• 2 weeks later...

I spent 6 years in the RAF. It was the best time of my life, travelled around went to some really shit places but the good times always take over the bad.

If I knew how shit it was out of the forces back in civy street I would have stayed in!

If you are serious I say go for it!! but it is like marmite - your will either love it or hate it.