Hi guys,

I fitted a na box to my gt recently, after taking it for a spin i realised that it had an aftermarket diff fitted.

It is extremely harsh to drive with around town as it knocks and bangs when turning at slow speeds, this can be felt through the steering wheel. If i release the throttle mid corner the car will snap to the inside and as i go back on the throttle it will tend to pull to the outside of the corner, is this normal?.

Had a mechanic drive the car recently and he told me that there is something seriously wrong with the diff and it should be changed but i want a second opinion as the car has much more grip than before, so the diff is doing its job.

I think it may be a cusco kazz or trd lsd but can't be sure, how can i tell? What kind of diffs are available for the na gearbox, or are they interchangable between na and turbo boxes?

Edit: Split the box today and took a few pics of the diff hopefully someone on here can tell if it's a lsd or a welded diff

149.jpg

150.jpg

151.jpg

Hi guys,

I fitted a na box to my gt recently, after taking it for a spin i realised that it had an aftermarket diff fitted.

It is extremely harsh to drive with around town as it knocks and bangs when turning at slow speeds, this can be felt through the steering wheel. If i release the throttle mid corner the car will snap to the inside and as i go back on the throttle it will tend to pull to the outside of the corner, is this normal?.

Had a mechanic drive the car recently and he told me that there is something seriously wrong with the diff and it should be changed but i want a second opinion as the car has much more grip than before, so the diff is doing its job.

I think it may be a cusco kazz or trd lsd but can't be sure, how can i tell? What kind of diffs are available for the na gearbox, or are they interchangable between na and turbo boxes?

Is it not the driveshaft?

If its the na gearbox there will be 6 bolts holding the diff in.

GT and Glanza boxes most commonly have 8 bolts holding the diff in.

6 bolt diff gearboxes did exist in early GTs.

That is the difference and they are certainly not interchangeable unless the bolt structures match.

Only na aftermarket diff I know of is my Quaife (imported old stock from Japan) and the UK branch doesn't list/sell/know about them.

I run the 4efe gearbox with Quaife in my FTE conversion and you hardly notice it is there (silent) and not as drastic as snapping in and out (unless you purposefully abuse the steering)

The spin both wheels method is not always accurate as aftermarket diffs all react differently.

Most foolproof way is to drop the box and check it out or get hold of the previous owner. Depends how much you wanna find out.

You are either very very lucky or your current diff is on the way out. It would be very rare to have something like that in a na box (but not impossible)

The Kaaz is not meant to bang as much as you describe, more like a clunk at most when turning as with the Cusco.

Joz

Not completely true Joz however cant confirm how untrue it is

I bought an LSD for my glanza about 18 month ago and was sold a diff with a 6 bolt flange (cant remember make however 100% sure it wasnt a quaife) i realised this and put up for sale and weejon bought it on tgtt

as far as i know he used it fine in an N/A box

Although ive been wrong before

Get some proper diff oil in there, I had the same issue with my Cusco diff earlier today. It was absolutely terrible to drive with and very very dangerous. We changed the oil for 80w90 gear oil and it is much better, it's a lot smoother and the steering feels nice again.

Not completely true Joz however cant confirm how untrue it is

I bought an LSD for my glanza about 18 month ago and was sold a diff with a 6 bolt flange (cant remember make however 100% sure it wasnt a quaife) i realised this and put up for sale and weejon bought it on tgtt

as far as i know he used it fine in an N/A box

Although ive been wrong before

Only brand I know of/have seen for na/6 bolt fitment is the atb I have. What have I said that isnt true :)? do you mean coming across a 6 bolt diff?

Shame you didnt find out the brand when you had it.

Joz

Thanks for the replys. I'll try some royal purple gear oil and see if that makes any difference not sure it will after reading this I think I may have a welded diff :)

will drive like a piece of crap on the road man, knocking like crazy and will pull ya across road!!!!

not too bad on a rwd but fwd welded front diff is pikey mod of the year!! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...