finding out when an import was made

Wonder if anyone can help?

My father in law has just bought an FTO and he's taken it for MOT which it has failed on emissions, it has a decat fitted.

Now ive been trawling on the net and have discovered that an import registered in Japan before 31/07/1995 only needs a non cat test.

However this is now the problem!!!

The car is down on the logbook as a 2004 reg and even has an 04 reg number plates, the guy he bought it off said he thought it was actually a 1993 car but the MOT place are saying its a late 1995.

Is there anyway we can find out its actual date of birth?!?!?

Tried Mitsubishi but they don't seem interested, is there a website somewhere that holds this sort of info?

Go to mitsubishi with your chassis number they sould be able to tell you what time it was mate never mind what year lol jokes...they should be able to help mate When i went to toyota a few years ago they said my car was a 97 but my reg was on a N? think (DVLA orr whoever) just like makeing dates up lol

Regardless of what year it is it doesnt need a CAT test, anycar that was never realised to the UK market cant have a emissions test because theres no data in the computer to test it against.

Regardless of what year it is it doesnt need a CAT test, anycar that was never realised to the UK market cant have a emissions test because theres no data in the computer to test it against.

FTO's are available in UK spec aswell but it depends on the model I believe, if they do the same model for both the UK market and Jap market then I am sure it would need one.

Dodgy MOT FTW :D

it will tell you the first date of registration overseas on the front of the logbook mate

its down as made and registered over here in 2004!

I've got the chassis number now so hopefully can trace it through that?!