Head gasket issues

right guys, as some of you know my track time a japfest2 wernt kind to the car, did about 2 laps and the temp needle started bouncing around all over the spot so took it steady and it went back to normal, did another fast lap and boom above red :) so got it off track and pushed it back to the stand. opened the bonnet and coolent all around the expansion bottle and nothing left in it. so left it to cool for a few hours, filled it up with water and its started 1st time without a problem and drove the 150mile home without issue.

took it to work monday with no problems but used the van all week to avoid the hassle, brought it home last night and when i started it up it had a missfire so thoiught it was hg for sure, but the missfire stopped within a few seconds. :) had some spare new plugs at home so popped them in last night just to try. took it to work this morning with no issue, so on the way home i kicked its teeth in and it was fine, boosting as normal.

just done a compression test now,

piston 1

281848_10150241390698285_508838284_7653716_1209676_n.jpg

284301_10150241390773285_508838284_7653717_4833319_n.jpg

268816_10150241390903285_508838284_7653719_6571449_n.jpg

283506_10150241391003285_508838284_7653720_4119073_n.jpg

all roughly the same. :)

only thing i did notice is that piston number 3 spark plug was abit wet

270671_10150241391243285_508838284_7653725_2055559_n.jpg

shined a light in and the top of piston 3 looks very slightly damp but got the best result from the compression test!?

sorry for the long thread, any help off you guys is always appreciated!

tar muchly!

Get a combustion tester on the radiator or expansion tank after a good blast.

Or another quick easier check is to go for a raz, take the dipstick out of the expansion leaving the nozzle inside the water and rev the engine high to see if any bubbles... this is all goto be done after a good blast.

Is the spark plugs pinky (coolant colour)

Get a combustion tester on the radiator or expansion tank after a good blast.

Or another quick easier check is to go for a raz, take the dipstick out of the expansion leaving the nozzle inside the water and rev the engine high to see if any bubbles... this is all goto be done after a good blast.

Is the spark plugs pinky (coolant colour)

its just getting hold of a combustion tester, was going to buy a sniff tester as i thort they wouldnt be that much but can only find them for £100 :) will try the expansion tank for bubbles tomoz tho.

as for the plugs there not realy coloured just normal i think

284018_10150241391078285_508838284_7653722_1067284_n.jpg

What rad are you running, are you sure it was topped up to full before your track session, overheating doesnt allways mean the head gasket is screwed. I would use and abuse it next week for work and let it sit in traffic etc.

running a civic stainless rad james, only thing i have noticed but its been this way since i got it as the rad was second hand, but whatever colour coolent i put in turns a red colour instantly :) ive got some collent system flush so im guna put that in tomoz, have a drive round in it then drain it all and also powerwash the rad core out and clean all the pipes.

had it in traffic tonight and theres no problem, with it, ive got my fan on a switch and even when sat in traffic without the fan or heaters on it doesnt over heat.

oh the joys of wierd problems! :)

hi mate i dont know if you remeber i put a couple of these threads out about my car chucking a lot of the coolant out of the overflow when doing over 120mph.

i had a sniffer test and got the all clear any who i was recommended to get a uprated rad cap like 1.3 bar or what not, i have not lost and coolant since or had any problems so just wondering if you have a decent rad cap or not?

goto your local garage ask if they got a tester, if they do ask them nicely that youll be back after a booted drive and if they can just stick it inside the expansion or just quickly pop off the rad cap. just watch your hands/eyes lol

hi mate i dont know if you remeber i put a couple of these threads out about my car chucking a lot of the coolant out of the overflow when doing over 120mph.

i had a sniffer test and got the all clear any who i was recommended to get a uprated rad cap like 1.3 bar or what not, i have not lost and coolant since or had any problems so just wondering if you have a decent rad cap or not?

well i did change my rad to cap to another 1 i had lieing around and it hasnt spat any coolent out since.

goto your local garage ask if they got a tester, if they do ask them nicely that youll be back after a booted drive and if they can just stick it inside the expansion or just quickly pop off the rad cap. just watch your hands/eyes lol

would love to but its sunday and all the garages round here are shut bar the "mechanics" at kwik fit who are just tyre fitters realy. just took my lass to work this morn and noticed a little bit of white smoke out the exhaust, well i say smoke its more like abit of condesation like you get in winter so dont know if thats a sign of somthing?

Hey daz, i had this problem and managed to trace it back to a hair line crack in the rad, right at the top too. Only ever lost coolant when on track after a few laps giving it large.

Might be worth a check.

Sam

cheers mate, will have a good look round it today when i take it off, just gota find some motivation to get my arse off the sofa and into the garage 1st! :)

right guys flushed the rad, overflow bottle and pipes today. it took ages to get clear water out the rad, just red dirty old coolant. but finally it is all clear :) . all so changed the thermo and resealed all the housing. took it for a blast this morning so the rad flush could circulate the system, then flushed it all, filled it all back up and took it for another good booting and all is well :) guna use it for work all week and see what happens with it.