Hi! Newbie doing some research

Hi Guys!

My name's Lee & I'm from Nottingham. Me & my mate have decided that we'd like to build a Starlet to be our track day toy alongside our current cars that we use for occasional track work. My car is a Mk1 Clio 1.8 16v with 50mm Jenvey ITB's and my mates car is a heavily modified beast of a Volvo 850.

It's mostly his idea as he's getting a bit disheartened with his Volvo & all the usual ballache & complications of boost pipework etc & really fancies building a lightweight FWD car with some decent N/A power and I got talked into helping out as I've got to the point with my car that it's getting left well alone & hammered on track as much as possible but I'd like to take on the challenge of building something different to what I'm used to

The inspiration for a starlet came when we saw a really mint SR owned by his sister's neighbours mum & remembered when a mate of ours used to own 1 & at the time I used to own an AE82 Corolla GT and remembered reading somewhere that a 4AGE engine would easily fit & tried to pester our mate to do the conversion but he never bothered :p

This then led to thinking about the 4AGE 20v engine. So our plan revolves around getting an SR or some other EP91- is that the correct term? - shell or an earlier 1, as I believe they're lighter, stripping as much weight as possible from it and dropping in a tweaked 4AGE20v lump in :D

Could possibly consider a cage as well so we can use full slicks.

So I'm here to do some research, I'd like to know the kerb weights of starlets so we can make a firm decision as to which shape should be our starting point as google isn't much help :rolleyes:

Can anyone give some pointers/advice on potential snag points with the conversion?

And the biggie really is what transmission can be used? What options are out there that come with a slippy diff as standard or what aftermarket options are available?

Any information will be really useful & gratefully accepted as our knowledge of these cars is pretty limited

cheers

hey lee glad you found your way here, im just gona spew out some info for you

the older lighter (macho and better shape) is the ep82 their weight ranges from 750-920 dependant on weather its na or turbo

the latter tubber (girly, femanine, bit of a looker) is the ep91 they range from a non pas 860kgs to 960 for the glanza v turbo

i currently have an na ep82 stripped to 727kgs and will dip under 6** in drag trim -- > as colin chapman said light is might

with the 4age, there are 4 different types, blue top red top, silver top and black top. the latter two use 20valve heads and are advanced with quad tbs as standard.

but as they all use cast iron blocks they are much heavier than say the 4efe or turbo 4efte 1.3s

also as they are na your sort of stuck with base power as they are expensive to extract more power out of unless you have a gze supercharged version to torbo, also the bluetops are great for turboing

on that bassis its more economcaly viable and cheaper to use the 4efte out of the gt turbo, glanza - 2psi above standard will see you pushing the same power as the most powerfull 4age

and 230bhp is atainable with the right turbo on standard internals

so you really cant argue with that conversion, it will get you so much farther on the track

check out user names taggys inspiration track build for ideas.

aye and when it comes gearboxes your sorted here as the 4age and 4efte mounts to toyotas famiy of c series boxes

a six speed is in there for you to use c160 and c60

with the five speeds you can get a 3.7, 3.9. 4.3 and 4.5 final drives with a bunch of gearsets to choose from theoritcicaly if you choose the right ratios 175mph is possible with enough power

Thanks Enzo, some pretty useful stuff there :D

Well I know that the Black top is going to be the engine of choice for us to aim for as it's the N/A base power with ITB's already fitted that appeals, tweaking will be in the form of new rings etc & some head work & maybe some DIY mapping. I've also seen some interesting gains made with trumpets being swapped about & what not so will see what can be done there. Is 200bhp or close to it from a black top a reasonable expectation?

Do you how big a difference there is in the engine weights? We'd be very happy with close to 200bhp & being anywhere in the 700's kg wise as that would make a very capable car on track especially if it's a decent handling car to begin with :p

Ok I'll have to admit this but I'm a sucker for the pretty car & will favour the EP91 as I like the look of them more :rolleyes: What's the lowest weight anyone's been able to get 1 down to?

I've also just remembered something else I wanted to ask, just for confirmation purposes, do the wheels from the corolla AE82/AE92 easily fit properly onto starlets? I've only heard 8th hand that they might and if they do I'll jump for joy as I used to have Clio williams wheels on my corolla, they fitted perfectly which would mean that my collection of wheels & track day tyres for my clio will also fit & save a few quid further down the line :D

na theres no danger your gona get close to 200 at the fly, the black tops are supposed to produce 160 stock but in truth very few standard examples make that power.

a realistiic goal is 180bhp and to get that you would need obligitary bolt ons like mani, uprated injectors, some lairier cams + harder springs and some tuning on a standalone and ud be lucky to get that.

aye the starlets pcd is 4x100 i think the renaults is 4x98 but dont quote me on that, but you should be able to fit them with bendybolts if you were stuggling otherewise

crusise power (japanese tuning house) got the 91 down to 838 kilos but the doors, rear hatch, bonnet and wings are all fibreglass.

Hi Lee, welcome to the club! :)

You may like this - the 1.8 190bhp 16v lump from the Gen 7 Celica 190 into Starlet swap: http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/index....showtopic=34821

There are a couple of lads locally to me with a nice track-only AE82 I supplied a 4-pot brake kit for, thought you might like: www.ae82.net/showthread.php?2767-track-day-pics-report

DSC_5238_exposure-25.jpg

Starlets are like the AE82 in that they are both 4x100, but also are both a 54.00mm bore where the wheel sits, so your wheels want to be 54.15mm bore, or at least that's what any adaptor rings should be. :)

Hmmm seems I've been misinformed, always been under the impression that the silver tops were 170bhp & the black tops 180bhp, oh well.

Loving the 190 conversion but the lack of ITB's puts me off a bit lol! I'll certainly keep an eye on that

I must admit 838kg is a bit of a disappointment though, thought more could be taken out, but I am basing that on what I know about the clios, a mate has got his down from the std 1000kg to 790kh with him and some fuel in it. I've had a look at taggys as suggested & think EP82 is probably the better option for this build but we'll just have to wait & see what shells are available when we're ready to make a start on the project.

Love that AE82 track car :) I miss mine soooo much :)

MyoldTwina.jpg

Pulsarntwinna.jpg

The renault wheels are also 4x100 but the bore is 60mm so some spigot rings in the right size will save me a few quid in not needing to buy more wheels & tyres :D

alright paddy, seen the light boost is best, hows the clio going?

Ellz

Come on Ellz you should know me by now, I'm strictly an N/A man now, only gonna be having boost for my boring daily driver ;)

The valver's still going strong, had to put a new bottom end in as the rings had gone :D but she survived a 100mph spin at Castle Combe a few weeks ago, got a decent outing at Donington Park on monday and will be getting a pasting at Oulton Park on the 24th august. Everyone that's driven it on track so far has been very impressed with the F7P & Jenveys combo :D