Knocking noise.....

My car has developed a knocking noise. my first thought was drive shafts but they seem ok the noise is worst at about 50 -70 mph and seems to have got louder, it sounds like it is comming from the wheels but i cant see anything wrong with them. A mate of mine had a quick look yestreday but couldn't find anything but he did say the drivers side wheel bearing was making a little noise!!! could this be knocking under weight or can you think of any other ideas??

Cheers guys Rob

yea that was on of the first things i did they are all ok. having read another post (http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3443&hl=knocking+noise) i think it might be the cv joints so i think i will need ot strip them down and have a gander see what i find!!!

Any more info??? any thing i might lneed to look for/be wary of??

cheers guys

CV joint will knock louder on full lock either direction.

wheel bearing can knock as very first signs of being fecked.

it will soon turn into humming, which is when you need to stop driving it and get it changed otherwise the humming turns into squeeking and major play in the wheel.

if its a quiet knocking, as if something is stck in the tyre, but isnt...knocking faster the higher the speed you travel, its more than likely the bearing.

if so it will knock only when your going in a straight line, as unless your doing 50+ round a corner you wont hear it.

get underneath, check the cv joints / gaiters.

if there fine, jack each front wheel up, give it a wobble.

it might not wobble but sooner or later it will if it is the bearing..

can either be a bearing runing dry of grease.. or shot races inside..

either way i wouldnt bother pressing it out just to grease it, may as well change it.

lower ball joint come loose?

plastic insert under the arch?

wheel nuts done up tight?

bolts on suspension struts come loose?

checked your brake pads?

exhaust bolts tight?

manifold bolts tight?

CV joint will knock louder on full lock either direction.

wheel bearing can knock as very first signs of being fecked.

it will soon turn into humming, which is when you need to stop driving it and get it changed otherwise the humming turns into squeeking and major play in the wheel.

if its a quiet knocking, as if something is stck in the tyre, but isnt...knocking faster the higher the speed you travel, its more than likely the bearing.

if so it will knock only when your going in a straight line, as unless your doing 50+ round a corner you wont hear it.

get underneath, check the cv joints / gaiters.

if there fine, jack each front wheel up, give it a wobble.

it might not wobble but sooner or later it will if it is the bearing..

can either be a bearing runing dry of grease.. or shot races inside..

either way i wouldnt bother pressing it out just to grease it, may as well change it.

there is no play in the wheels as yet checked them the other day and my mate who works in a garage checked them again yesterday. it is knocking as if there is something in the tyre.

will the knocking dissapeer before it starts humming as the knocking seems to have got louder??

i will double check all cv joint gaters thurs i think i will go to work on the push iron tomorrow

lower ball joint come loose?

plastic insert under the arch?

wheel nuts done up tight?

bolts on suspension struts come loose?

checked your brake pads?

exhaust bolts tight?

manifold bolts tight?

ive checked wheel nuts and the pads are only a month or 6 week old but i will check all these too :)

dont suppose you have had any new shocks on recently?

nope thank fook as im brassic ;) and soon to be evevn worse :lol:

it could be many things as all the las have suggested.

but all the wheel bearings ive had go have made a clicking/clonking noise first

the clonking will stop.. then the humming will start. humming louder the faster you go.

its only an idea mate, but make sure everythings tight in the engine bay / suspension wise first...

if the noise has started after fitting something new recheck it all..

only thing i can suggest mate without hearing it first hand im afraid.

this is getting fun ive had it in to two garages the first said the offside wheel bearing was making a bit of noise but not masses!!!! but then i took it somewhere else for a seconed opinion and they said the nearside wheel bearing was on its way!! Im a little confused now!!!

How hard is it to change a front wheel bearing on the SR??? does any one fancy writing me a quick how 2 for reference???? :DB) B) :lol::D then i might change them both!!!