HOW DO I KNOW IF MY ALTERNATORS BUGGERED

as above. the other day i turned car on and it didnt 'not start' but struggled ever so slightly. then when it was raining i put the lights on and the wipers on and as i put my foot on the accelarator i heard a wining noise. i turned the lights off and the wiper off and the noise had gone. its no biggi but im jus wondering whether i shud get it sorted asap or shal i wait til it f's up completley. or am i jus being paranoid!

cheers

When the car is running and you use battery power, does it die out at all? Start the engine and turn on the heaters, headlights, indicators and anything else then rev the car and see if it stutters? Or go for a drive and see if it dies :) if any components are working slower than usual then chances are it's your alternator but could possibly be your battery.

I'm having the same sort of problem in my 82, the revs drop quite low if I have the lights, whipers, heaters ect on, and it judders a bit when pulling off, works fine when i'm driving but the revs drop quite fast between gear changes :)

My 82 makes a whiney noise when running and im looking at the alternator (i was quoted £140 new) or the Fuel Pump, but when mine was droping in revs was just my leads

• 2 weeks later...