Rear pads

As above peeps,

Changed the front pads no probs but i cant seem to get the piston back in on the rear caliper. Does it screw in and not push in like the fronts?

Is there something i am doing wrong? Used a g clap for the front and they went back with no problems

Cheers for your help

yea they wind back in ive herd of people using screw drivers n what not or u can get the cheap tool http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DISC-PAD-BRAKE-R...#ht_1285wt_1163

or if uve got couple extra quid to spare they do a kit which covers almost every car

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-CALIPER-PI...#ht_3509wt_1396

CHeers for that mate but ive already taken the back caliper off so I aint got time to wait for a tool. Do you know what the best thing to use would be?

I you have an old socket big enough you could cut it down to leave two bits to locate into the slot on the piston.

I managed to find an old thin spanner I had in the tool box and it fitted it perfectly :thumbsup:

I managed to find an old thin spanner I had in the tool box and it fitted it perfectly :thumbsup:

Glad you got sorted mate :p

Might still be worth investing in one of the tools for next time if you get one of the kits it will do most cars when you change.

The price of a kit is less than the hours labour most garages would charge to do the job.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys. my boyfriend has recently stripped and reconditioned my spare set of callipers. he said that when you put the new pads in be sure to use the hand brake to adjust up the pads. there is a dog bone shaped thing inside that keeps the auto adjuster together. if the auto adjuster is stiff or seized the auto adjuster will fall to pieces if it is forced out by fluid pressure (foot brake applied). be sure that the piston winds back far enough to put the new pads in and line up the little bobble thing on the pad with the groove in the piston. if your piston does not wind back in chances are the auto adjuster has come to pieces inside. hence strip and re assemble the adjuster.

be sure to wind the piston back in clock wise and push in at the same time. hope this has been of some use to someone. :p

il see if he can get some pics of the calliper in pieces and explain better what happens.