Who has built a 4e/5e-fte engine?

So have you made your own engine, and if so how did it work out for you, was it the first time you had done it and did it give you any problems after doing it, how did you learn how to do it?

I am thinking about building my own forged 5e, I know everything else about my starlet inside out but the only thing i haven't done is rebuild an engine.

I have had one apart from when the head gasket went and also when the bottom end went on a different one, so know my way around it. I just need to be able to have confidence to do it without fucking it up (as its potentially allot of money down the pan!) but then again its about half the price of getting someone else to do it for me. I cant justify spending over 2 grand on an engine, plus the mrs would go mental if she knew lol. So i figured i can do it my self for about £1000, which i can sleep at night then paying :)

I have been watching to learn

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showth...gine-assembly-*

Looks good, but its difficult to understand him on sections of it because hes from Greece!

How did you guys go about doing it?

yeah i have built my 5e 2 times now and i did mess it up the first time, by cracking a piston ring with i refitted the piston back in the block.

i would say find a good machine shop tho as they will help you no end, in bits like bearing sizes, if the block is true and not out off shape,

as for £1000 to build one would be tight, but i wouldn't say its impossable, as i found most of my money went on machine shop labour,

hey dude i rebuilt mine the last time but it only lasted about a year but i used old standard pistons and ran 1.2 bar so thats probably why haha. I used that guys vids for most of it. Mine was just a quick rebuild tho so i didnt go as far as checking all the tolerances etc.

The only glitch i had really was the crank caps. once i has taken them off and installed new bearings its like they didnt fit back into their spaces as easily and when the bolts were tightened down onto them it squeezed them in and stopped the crank from being able to turn. I just took a bit of sandpaper and cleaned up the bit of the block and the sides off all the caps and it sorted it but im unsure if that means something is way out or not.

Overall i thought it was relativly enjoyable to do apart from doing it in a hurry. Was my first engine build too.

Id say as long as you make sure all the tolerances are spot on and everythings clean you cant go wrong :)

I havent rebuilt a head yet but i do have a spare i might practice on lol.

Such a good guide that ^^^

Its not too difficult mate.

Its all about taking your time and cleaning everything to perfectiong before refitting.

Your going forged so you need a bit of machine work anyway. I learnt this the hard way, should of got my bores and tolerances checked before rebuilding mine.

So yea throwing a forged engine together wouldnt be too difficult when teh machine work is done and other used compnnents are clean.

This is part of what i mean and an area i am unfamilure with, you mention machining, and more so with forged, which parts would need to be machined and why?

Such a good guide that ^^^

Its not too difficult mate.

Its all about taking your time and cleaning everything to perfectiong before refitting.

Your going forged so you need a bit of machine work anyway. I learnt this the hard way, should of got my bores and tolerances checked before rebuilding mine.

So yea throwing a forged engine together wouldnt be too difficult when teh machine work is done and other used compnnents are clean.

Blocked will need to be bored if going oversize pistons (recommended) then it would need to be crosshatch honed.

Block would need decking and head skimming for a perfect surface for a metal headgasket (again recommnded for a forged set up)

Block may need notching to accept forged rods (depends what rods you need)

And you may aswell get the crank regrinded or at least polished.

This is part of what i mean and an area i am unfamilure with, you mention machining, and more so with forged, which parts would need to be machined and why?

reboring the bores to take a bigger piston due to the bore being out of shape (oval), this is were you get the 74.5mm, 75mm, pistons sizes,

regrind the crank as the journals can be worn, and feel rough which would kill a new set of bearing quickly,

hope this helps

Russleh I bet you fitted the crank caps the wrong way? That would stop the crank turning.

I've done 2 rebuilds myself, I suggest doing a lot of research and double/triple checking all tolerances etc and you'll be alright.

Which tolerances in particular would i need to get checked, obviously the bores need to be completly round and the correct size for the pistons. what else?

Russleh I bet you fitted the crank caps the wrong way? That would stop the crank turning.

I've done 2 rebuilds myself, I suggest doing a lot of research and double/triple checking all tolerances etc and you'll be alright.

Sorry to ask so many questions!

What are the specefic tolerances?I know the pistons you can go up to 74.5mm, obviously my local machine shop is going to want to know what specefic tollerances it should be within.

tolerances- journals on the crank, bores, piston to wall clearance, piston ring gaps etc.

All this should be done by a machine shop for accuracy and experience etc.

Sorry to ask so many questions!

What are the specefic tolerances?I know the pistons you can go up to 74.5mm, obviously my local machine shop is going to want to know what specefic tollerances it should be within.

u should get a spec sheet with the pistons that will tell u everything,

just finished building mine for the first time, its not too bad, its a pretty basic engine compared to other cars, take your time and make sure everthing is nice and clean, make sure everything is torqued down as it should, double check everything, if u get stuck just ask, someone will help you out.

Tolerances and measurements are the musts. Thing I've found aswell.... No half measures. If your forging, do it all right first time. Get the most out of doing it, because u wont wanna take it to bits again lol head porting and Uprated valve springs for example,

The best thing for you to do is buy a couple of books off of amazon. This is what i did, i'd recommend the following Engine Builder's Handbook and How to Blueprint & Build a 4-cylinder Engine Short Block for High Performance Manual. Both of these books explain in depth how to rebuild an engine both books explain in depth everything from stripping an engine down, checking various parts for wear, and measuring tolerences, and also gives practical tips on how to put various engine components back together.

• 2 months later...