Weak handbrake

I've noticed sometimes my handbrake doesn't hold, especially on steep hills, or takes a fair amount of clicks to get it to hold.

I had a mechanic have a quick look and he said from the calipers it looks fine, they come to rest on the stops so are adjusting correctly and they pull on correctly, yet it doesn't hold for me, I asked if I should tighten it at the lever and all 3 at the garage said no it would make things worse, so what is the problem?

Cheers

There should be an adjuster on the handbrake its self! if you take the plastic surrounding off there should be a 10mm nut.. If you let your handbrake down then tighten the nut it should start feeling abit better! But dont go to mad because you could snap it.

agreed they have a pretty crap self adjusting mech inside them. ive stripped and re assembled about 6 calipers now and its the same thing every time. all i can say is make sure that the lever on the top of the caliper is returning fully. if it doesnt return fully then it cant adjust properly. dont touch the 10mm nut inside unless you have to. its only there to remove the slack from the cables not adjust them.

il get some photos of the ones i have stripped at work when i can to explain how they work better.

Flaminsam, yeah my mechanic said its touching the stops correctly to

Adjust itself? And he said not to adjust via the cabin like you said as it won't cure the problem?

Unless of course my cable is stretched because it is touching the stops it just ain't holding well?