How to I change a Drive Belt/Power Steering Belt

I know this is a simple job in most peoples eyes, but i'm a complete novice with engines and if i'm gonna move on from n/a power in the future i don't want to be so don't laugh :D

Basically my car has got to the point where it is religiously squeeling and very embarrasing. It's currently on 93k+ and the drive belt was last changed at 74, it appears to be in good condition, but has been tightened twice to it's maximum point in the past 10'000 (not by me)

The second time it went back to normal after a day. I have both belts already to change, but i'm hoping it's not the alternator. If so i'll worry about it after changing the belts.

Questions are, can someone tell me how to do it? what tools I will need? and ideally does anyone have any pictures? because i'm not so good with words half the time. Thankyou

if the alternator belt has been adjusted alot, it may be the adjuster thats coming loose, i know my mx5 was doing this alot recently and i had to put all new bolts in as they were shagged and kept rattling loose :/

it is fairly easy though dude, as above, just have a good look at the bolts and figure out whats easiest for you to get to them etc, go make a cuppa, have a strategy planned, then get cracking :)

just make sure you put the right belts on, the larger of the belts is the power steering i think.

also dont forget to put the alternator belt around the water pump belt too fella as the alternator and water pump pulleys run from the same belt (closest to the engine) then the power steering belt goes out the smaller of the crank pulleys but it is the larger belt

dont think i have any pics but if i had a starlet id take some for you lol

right i know the engine isnt in the car, and the power steering pump isnt actually attatched, but its all i have to work with :)

wrench-1.jpg

the pink arrows are pointing to the main mounting point of the alternator and power steering pump - these need to be slackened 1st

the red arrows then point to the adjusters of each, these need to be slacked to remove the belts

power steering belt comes off 1st by undoing the threaded bar from the bottom (red arrow to the right of pic) (much easier with the bumper off) you then pivot the power steering pump downwards towards the engine. keep undoing the threaded bar until the belt is slack enough to come off

once that is removed, undo the adjuster bolt on the alternator and push the alternator in towards the engine until the belt is slack enough to come off (may need to be twisted to get it passed the engine mount)

then repeat the process in reverse:

alternator belt on 1st, making sure the belt is on the water pump pulley aswell as the alternator and crank

push alternator away from the engine to take up slack in the belt

tighten adjuster bolt (red arrow left of pic)

tighten mounting bolt (pink arrow left of pic)

(green is to show where the belt goes over the water pump)

next power steering belt goes on

tighten threaded bar until it pushes up the power steering pump (red arrow right of pic)

belt should have around 1-1.5cm of movemement each way on the straight sections

then tighten up the mounting point (pink arrow right of pic)

yellow is just to show where the belt goes :)

hope that helps mate

ps. excuse the humungous torque wrench in the way :/

amazing guys :D appreciate your time and effort going into writing this. gonna buy a new socket set next week as my rolson one is a load of utter shite, i don't suppose you could recommend a set?

i already have a genuine power steering belt ready to go on, but the alternator belt i have to replace isn't 99364-20820 to remind myself :D

ryan i don't suppose you know what bolts are needed exactly, toyota part numbers are a pain the arse. does the car need jacking up as the alternator belt is a pain the arse to reach from checking before?

thanks very much anyway guys, just hoping this bloody rain clears over :thumbsup:

Buy halfords professional tools i think they are called halfords advanced now. Good if your on a budget and cant afford snap on but you get the same life time guaruntee. Chewing screws and bolts are just down to the wrong approach or wrong tool always check star screws are either philips or pozidrive invest in a can of WD40 along with your hammer and molies will be the best tools you own.