Fitting lowered springs this week once the suspension is off the car, will I need spring compressors to remove and change the springs? would like to get it done tonight if poss.....

Mike

If you have some of those really thick heavy duty cable ties you can wrap those tight around the old spring before removing the top nut and then the lowering springs may go in without, when i removed my 40mm springs to fit coils they came off easily without sending the top mount flying.

I do havespring compressors they're just a pain in the arse to use sometimes lol

Edited by A L 3 X

If you have some of those really thick heavy duty cable ties you can wrap those tight around the old spring before removing the top nut and then the lowering springs may go in without, when i removed my 40mm springs to fit coils they came off easily without sending the top mount flying.

I do havespring compressors they're just a pain in the arse to use sometimes lol

fuck that your crazy i have some spring compressors but your still quite far away

Are you serious?

Ive worked in main dealers who don't use them, people make up rumours about them flying across the room and stuff but it's not likely.

I had some spax 40mm springs on some nackered standard shocks, all I did was loosen the top nut when the cars weight is on it, then take em off , lay the shock on its side in a box so it can't go far and is aiming away from me, then just undid the nut, the spring and top mount barely moved...

I suppose standard springs would be different with them being longer?

As in it fired out when the nut was taken off?

Fair enough then lol, I do have a set they were just fiddly to fit in the starlet springs

I've heard the cable tie trick does work tho to get em off as long as you use the large ones that are like 1cm wide, or a ratchet strap would work if you have one?

lol thanks guys.

compressors are 30 from machine Mart and my cousin will need dome soon so we will go halves....15 quid ain't bad really.

tha ka for comments....hasn't seen it covered before tbh. will let u know how I get on!

Mike

my advice from doing mine before jacking up the car, undo the strut nut under the bonnet so its finger tight :) makes the hole process 100000% easyer :)

As above, the weight on the car usually makes it easier, not always the case

With starlet shocks as all they have is that crap little bit stuck up to hold while undoing the nut