Cheats for splitting rear shocks

Right trying to split the rear shocks to fit the lower springs but when turning the nut the whole piston spins.

The shock is still fitted to the car.

Anyone got any cheats to remove the nut and get the springs on?

Cheers

You will need an air gun to remove the top nuts. I tried manually and it was a waste of time. I imagine you could remove them if you could hold the centre of the shocker in place but its probably more effort than it's worth!

if you can get hold of a hand held vice clamp that bitch on the top part that comes through the screw, or take the whole strut out and do it in a bench vice. make sure you put a ring end spanner on 1st before doing these, and use springs compressors :) i know of a few people who have use mole grips, but when i used them on mine, it absolutely ruined the bar that sticks out of the top of the top strut nut :)

Feck. Ive done this before and they came straight off, then second time they were a c**t and this time no joy at all.

Of course the front is done so she is now arse high

Be careful not to damage the piston as damage to that will alow grit to pass the seal and then cause a leak from the shock after time due to damage to the seal from passing grit :(

Be careful not to damage the piston as damage to that will alow grit to pass the seal and then cause a leak from the shock after time due to damage to the seal from passing grit :(

My point exactly :p

use a pair of good vice grips place the shock on the floor put the vice grip as far to the top of the shock as you can then just stand on them to clamp them shut as you'll never get them tight enuf trying to do it with your hands. then just wind the nut off the top and do the reverse to re-fitt your new spring mate also use spring compressors as if you you dont the top mount will shoot off and if it hits you in the hand you'll know about it trust me on that 1