ep82 starlet history

Guest Enzo

Guest Enzo

EP82 Starlet Mk1 (1989-1991)

starlet82.jpg

Carrying on in the tradition of the EP71 Turbo S, the EP82 GT was placed at the topend of the Starlet range.

Production started in December 1989 with the initial version (commonly referred to as the Mark 1). All models featured:

Power assisted steering

Adjustable steering wheel

Electric door mirrors

Heated rear window

Airconditioning

Split rear folding seats

Intermittent wash/wipe

There was also a higher specification that added central locking and electric windows into the spec sheet.

A great number of optional features were available, many of which are greatly sought after nowadays. It's difficult to give the full list but here goes nothing:

Electric Sunroof

Limited Slip Diff equipped gearbox

Climatronic Airconditioning

Recaro interior

Rear strutbrace

Wind deflectors for front windows

Wind deflector for sunroof

Dash mounted accessory tray

Parking guidance light

TEMS Suspension

Roofmounted dehumidifier

Remote central locking

CD player

Bootliner

Armrest

Stereo Amplifier

Rear speakers

Door mounted speakers

Full carpet mat set

Plastic rear window cover

(Please forward any additional info to myself for this list)

There was also the option of changing the five speed manual gearbox for a four speed automatic gearbox if required.

A special edition was available : the 'Snow Version' which was designed for colder regions. These featured snow tyres, yellow headlamps, different alternators and a stronger starting system.

It's time I stated for the record that the 'Light-weight' edition is a myth. These are simply the basic entry-level model which due to it's lack of electrics was a little lighter than it's more highly equipped counterparts.

*Picture courtesy of Geo/uksc

The EP82 Starlet Mk2 (1992-1994)

picture008rf6rf8.jpg

After over two years of production the Starlet range was given a facelift to freshen up the vehicle's image and appeal. New materials were used and several components were changed to move the turbo models away from the naturally-aspirated specifications. As with the earlier phase all models featured:

Power assisted steering

Adjustable steering wheel

Electric door mirrors

Heated rear window

Airconditioning

Split rear folding seats

Intermittent wash/wipe

There was also a higher specification that added central locking and electric windows into the spec sheet.

The only special model of note was the GT-Limited which featured decals and small interior/external trim variations most noticable of which is the two-tone paintwork.

Differences made from the mk1 include:

Revised front bumper

Revised front grille and badge

Alternation to centrebore of front brake discs

New design of front droplinks

New pluglead connections

Different interior fabrics and materials

Revised steering wheel

Revised instrument cluster

Revised bootlid trim

Revised tail lamps

*Picture courtesy of Suspected_Psycho/TGTT

The EP82 Starlet Mk3 (1994-1995)

pic0001aq5fl5.jpg

After a long five years in production the EP82 was due another overhaul. Technology was improving and the demand for a more modern vehicle was high.

The third and final phase of the model was basically a cleverly disguised facelift. The mechanical and electrical side of the vehicle which had delivered the goods perfectly over the years offered too strong a foundation to change.

For the most part only minor alterations were deemed necessary. Comestic changes would tide the EP82 over until the fast approaching EP91 Glanza arrived.

Changes made over the mk2 included:

Quad headlamps

New indicator units

Revised grille

Various fabrics and materials were changed

Revised tailgate

There was also a special edition on offer that offered two-tone paintwork, decals, a leather Momo steering wheel and gearknob. The 'Advance' took over where the GT-Limited left off and it proved a popular model.

It's worth mentioning that the foreamentioned items were the only extras that the model came with - many people suggest that a LSD gearbox or Recaro interior are part of the standard Advance package. This is untrue, such items were factory-fit options when ordering a new vehicle.

*Picture courtesy of Craig/TGTT

Damn -- I've just noticed this thread! I've started a definitive Starlet model guide with pictures. I was actually just starting the EP8x section and I was searching google and this thread came up! Whoops!

With your permission Jay, can I incorporate some of the info and pics? Mine isn't as in depth to features so this will still stand in good stead as an EP82 guide!