Help please- wont start

so i install the new engine

install all fluids , exhaust ect

go to start it - it cranks not nothing else happens .

the fuel pump dose not prime unless you remove the starter relay ?:/

only the handbreak and battery light light up on the dash

dosnt look to have a spark ?

i brought it with a engine dead so never had it running before , to make things worse its a engine conversion from a ep82 to a ep91 5 door!:(

im thinking ecu but i dont have a clue.

would really appreciate any suggestions. on the verge of giving up with starlets

Dav

Theres a diagnostics port in the engine bay, small black box about 2'' x 1'' an you need to bridge two of the ports together, something like te1 and e1 but dont quote me on this just yet, ill have a quick look n find out for sure! Then you just turn the ignition on and the engine light should flash. If its a constant then its fine if its flashing and stopping then its throwing up a code

Ill have a quick look for the proper procedure for this n link you to it in a few mins

Edited by morgey

nice one guys , right the oil pressure light comes on now i made a new cable for it .

if i unplug the ecu while the ignition is on then plug it back in. it then puts the engine warning light on . but the engine warning light dose not even flash when i turn the ignition normally. and ones it was on if i put the wipers to on ( even thow they dont work) it would go out

also it seems like it had a little burst while cranking like it fired once after i unplugged the ecu and plugged it in again.

humm this is getting stress full

also the front wipers dont work :/ no fuses gone either :(

The wipers might be a little connector block between the motor and the rest of the main loom i think i tried removing mine an they stopped working its just a few inches of wiring with a few lumps wrapped in plastic? You still got them in place?

Is the ecu earthed, im guessing its bolted down so should be?

Also you checked the fuse box up front the relay or fuse named DOME if this is kaput then u wont have any ecu signal

Edited by morgey

12v to the injectors -

10v to the coil/module

king lead is okay

all grounded good

fuel pump does not seem to prime when u turn ignition ?

no engine warning light when ignition is turned on only battery handbreak and oil

any suggestions lads ?

thanks

ught it with a engine dead so never had it running before , to make things worse its a engine conversion from a ep82 to a ep91 5 door! :(

Did you take the harness from EP82 and put it in EP91? Might be the problem.

Sounds like ECU is missing some power. ECU doesn't give power to injectors, coil, oil and battery alert. Is the ECU fuse checked in the engine bay? Some people don't know there is fuses out there. Called ECU fuse.

The ECU gives power to the throttle sensor, map sensor and intake temperature sensor. Check if these got power, then ECU must have power. I think that a EP91 harness put together with a EP82 engine harness might not give power to ECU. They are probably more than one power wire to the ECU, so sensors might have power, and the computer inside ECU have no power.

Anyway I think its the power to ECU thats the problem.

Might be the ECU earth. It gets its earth at the engine, so there is a earth wire that is bolted on the engine if I remember right, check that. There is 3-5 earth wires from the ECU, to engine and chassis.

Have you cleaned all earth points for paint so they have 100% contact? Chassis, engine and battery?

Out of idea's from here. Good luck.

Edited by klyfax

tps has 12v to it :/

I've looked through all fuses all are okay.

rev gauge doesn't move while cranking - should it?

how can i test the coil and also the injectors

should the engine warning light come on before cranking?

the conversion its self i didnt do, but it 100% ran before it dropped a rod.

Thanks dave

Right guys , finally sorted this :D happy happy !!

Was a earth in the engine loom that had hidden it's self , that's why it sometimes tryed to start when it had made a contact ! Thank you lot for all the help really appreciate it :) feel like a right penis now !lol

Thanks again

Dave