anyone into cad design?

basically this is something that interests me a fair bit, i have to work from technical drawings working in a tool makers/machine shop and i figured it would be nice to be able to do it for myself.

im currently pissing about on google sketchup (freebee for beginers) but its a very limited program and feels like its missing some really needed features, that or i havent managed to find them yet. basically if i feel like its something i can get my head around it, ill be looking into some proper education into it so i can get qualified in something for a change lol

i breezed over it (autocad) in college for a few hours but that was it really so havent used any systems for a few years and just wondered if the was any descent free 3d cad programs that people could reccommend or any advise for using some of them?

I've been using SolidWorks for about 10 years. Can't really compare it to anything else but it's one of the high end market leaders in a number of industries.

I'm happy to give you some tips if you manage to aquire a copy!!

Plenty of online resource and tutorials available to get you started.

Yeah we actually have that at work, im not sure why as knowone can really use it properly lol, problem is i get looked at as the bitch so i doubt very much theyd consider letting me use it, hence why i figured if i can get some basic skills together through free/cheap software, impress the bosses abit then maybe theyd help fund some sort of course/training program :)

If i manage to wing some use on it ill be sure to hit you up though man cheers! :)

If you can find a copy, you could get some practice out of hours and perhaps model one of your works existing jobs and prove there is a faster turn around with more features and potential for improving/simplifying the design.

Your employer must have payed out around 4.5K for the software so it would make sense for someone to be using the license.

What sort of tools do you produce and are you using CNC machines?

Yeah ill have a look around see if i can get a copy.

I know it seems silly and a big cost tbh we mainly got it because the m.d is planning on moving onto tool design, but we also have a company that we work close to which uses it, so they can send us designs over and we can do what we need to do with them, it also means if or when our m.d is teaching himself he can call up and ask how somethings done so easier reference, and we can also transfer tooling paths onto our 3axis CNC mills (hurco) to do all the 3d tooling to either the main job or electrodes for spark eroding.

But most our jobs are done on a favour basis for this other company, if they do one then we'd have to out source or make multiple electrodes to do what could normally be done using a CAD program, which is why i plan on getting involved :)

I've used solidworks for 2 years now at uni, its very easy to pick up, it even has its own tutorials in the programme if you get stuck. You can also make some quite complicated designs with it :)

Downloaded a free version of rhino over the weekend, seems to be the full version but only has 25 saves until i goes into basic version, so going to have to sit down an read through the tutorials.

Need to work out how all this scripting works and a few of the basic commands first then try making some simple designs then slowly build myself up to the complex stuff. Can see me getting quite confused with it all :lol: