Browner's 1986 Corolla GT Coupe Twin Cam

Well lads I have a bit of work planned for my new twin cam so I decided to start a bit of a thread about it.

This is my 1986 white Toyota Corolla AE86 GT Coupe. It's an almost all original Jap car. All original sills and pockets and clean underneath. The interior is very good and the body is very good too. Over the last few weeks there has been quite a bit of work done on it so I said I'd stick up a project thread on it.

101_0551.jpg

101_0552.jpg

Firstly the engine came out and the engine bay sprayed to freshen it up a bit. I also got a new Janspeed exhaust and a few other bits and pieces.

The car doesn't need too much but I want to have it well presented so bought a brand new genuine glass grill for it as my old grill's clips were broke and was sitting lob sided...

101_0601.jpg

101_0602.jpg

101_0605.jpg

101_0606.jpg

The front looked very bare so got a new front splitter too...

101_0603.jpg

I'm quickly realising that owning a twin cam is not a cheap hobby :) Also finding some parts is next to impossible. I was missing the front caps off my side skirts and couldn't find a set until now...

101_0600.jpg

101_0604.jpg

Also wrapped the 13" Superlites with fresh Nankangs :)

101_0612.jpg

Next on the list is:

-Boot struts as mine aren't great

-A m1nt steering wheel with working horn

-A couple of dash vents as mine are broken

-Respray the strut brace and rocker cover

-Replace a couple of interior plastics

-Wet sand and flatten a couple of areas on the body and then machine polish the whole car

-Do a full interior valet and bodywork treatment on the car

-Rubber Toyota mudflaps (x4)

Well guys I have made up my mind am going for the UK conversion on the car.

An oil cooler has been fitted and also UK spec radiator clamps.

I also got new wheel arch mouldings and the rear bumper mouldings. I am still trying to source the front bumper mouldings.

101_0704.jpg

I also got the Toyota badge for my new glass grill...

101_0706.jpg

Coming together a bit now...

101_0707.jpg

Well guys needed new tyres for the twin cam (again lol!) so said I might aswel change the wheels while I'm at it. I wanted to get away from the Superlites as everyone has them and stand out a bit from everyone else. Say hello to my brand new Revolites and tyres :)

101_0697.jpg

101_0700.jpg

To finish them off I picked up these Toyota valve caps too which I thought were nifty

101_0709.jpg

Once I get the two front bumper mouldings I will be fitting front side indicators to the wings and relocating the aerial amongst other bits and pieces.

I'm looking for new Cibie covers too

Picked these up off a friend :) Looking forward to the new look

101_0734.jpg

I also replaced the broken dash vents I had with these new ones I picked up...

101_0694.jpg

101_0696.jpg

101_0711.jpg

Still a lot of work to do but here is a few quick snaps of the car up at the Donegal rally this weekend :)

101_0729.jpg

101_0730.jpg

101_0731.jpg

Got these Toyota centercaps for my Revolites. They are something a bit different :)

101_0739.jpg

Got new reg plates made up Ill stick up pics tomorrow. Also fitted the new grill it looks a lot better than the old one.

Picked up this today... Should be fun :)

100_0776.jpg

My old rocker cover gaskets were old and cracked and was badly leaking oil from the top of the head. My exhaust manifold gasket was also blowing a bit due to age so I replaced the lot

100_0817-1.jpg

The Janspeed that was on the car when I first got it was red rotten. I rewelded the backbox but the exhaust was in bits so I replaced with this almost new big bore Janspeed. It sounds well.

100_0819.jpg

While I was at it I sanded down, painted and lacquered the new Janspeed manifold in high temp resistant paint and lacquer. It is supposed to withstand heat up to 800 degrees celcius so lets see :p

100_0818.jpg

Picked up these high quality heavy duty rubber Toyota mats. Finally got a good set not like a lot of the croked ones I seen in shops and motor factors. Have the wheels off at the minute ready to fit these tomorrow

100_0889.jpg

Browner

That's Irish paddy spec twin cams for yas lads :p

13" Superlites with fresh smokey Nankangs, a cb aerial and Cibbies on the front then off to paint the junctions lol! Only in Ireland!

Edited by Browner