Internal WG vs External WG

Ill probably learn this at college soon however just wanted to see if there was a thread explaining internal and external wastegates?

How they work?

What's the difference?

Are there different types of external setup? Ie screamer pipe

Not something I'm clued up on as of yet:)

Same mate! Ive got an internal wastegate, but i hear external wastegates minimise boost creep? Would like to learn more as i can't use my high boost at the moment as has starting creeping and fuel cutting:/

Edited by smobey_sutton2

External wastegates are bigger than the stock or even ported CT9 wastegate so therefore let gasses escape quicker and stop boost creep

You can have a screamer pipe coming from the wastegate or can have the dump pipe plumbed back into the decat pipe

Its not necessarily to reduce boost creep, you can get many different size of EG, they are designed to hold peak pressure much much better, much more accurately.

They work exactly the same as an internal gate, the only real difference being where they are positioned, an EG is welded from a flange off of the exhaust manifold.

What lvl mechanics at college are you doing? i did up to level 2 and never learned anything about turbos :/

I'm not doing mechanics dude, doing Motorsport.

It's all about turbos, car set up for race spec, improvements of lap times, remaps, porting, forging. There is a trip to Greece early next year for a stage in the Greek rally at night or something .. We have to write a piece about the mechanics in rally situation etc

Sounds like your getting a better education than I did! I went to college and virtually learned fuck all, I came from a family with experience in tuning cars so I had a lot of knowledge beforehand, I've learnt most of my knowledge through reading and looking into things myself. Take it with a pinch of salt is my advice, always be prepared to learn more ;)

less technical info but..... we all love the external wastegate and screamer sound lol

This is why I ask the question lol....

I'm Bot wanting to go TD04 but would be looking to go hybrid maybe?

Would be something along the lines of:

Ct9 hybrid

Blitz decat

Race tech or wepr manifold

FMIC

Plug and play ECU.

Blitz nur spec exhaust

What other supporting mods would I need so that it ran efficiently and what power could I be looking at?

This is why I ask the question lol....

I'm Bot wanting to go TD04 but would be looking to go hybrid maybe?

Would be something along the lines of:

Ct9 hybrid

Blitz decat

Race tech or wepr manifold

FMIC

Plug and play ECU.

Blitz nur spec exhaust

What other supporting mods would I need so that it ran efficiently and what power could I be looking at?

decent fpr, fuel pump maybe set of injectors and a decent map should see u pushing 180 plus i woulda fort. im running hybrid td04, wepr mani, external gate, screamer, fpr, uprated fuel pump,injectors, fmic, japspeed exhaust system and a safe amount of boost as im on standard internals ATM and that saw me to 200bhp @0.9 which i was happy with until i go forged and get myself some management and so on, thats wen the bank account will get a real punishment lol

decent fpr, fuel pump maybe set of injectors and a decent map should see u pushing 180 plus i woulda fort. im running hybrid td04, wepr mani, external gate, screamer, fpr, uprated fuel pump,injectors, fmic, japspeed exhaust system and a safe amount of boost as im on standard internals ATM and that saw me to 200bhp @0.9 which i was happy with until i go forged and get myself some management and so on, thats wen the bank account will get a real punishment lol

What injectors are you using mate? I've brought a set of 360 but never though there was anypoint in using them under 1 bar ?

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread then

External waste gates are just a much more stronger more reliable way of controling boost.

On a standard internal wastegate the penny opens buy the actuator and the exhaust gas is diverted back into the exhaust

An external wastegate diverts the gases out a port which normally vents to amosphere (screamer pipe) some people like to plumb that into the downpipe to keep noise down

I would advise gonig for a electronic boost controller where the gain can be adjusted, as a lot of EG the valve lifts off its seat too early, around 50% of peak boost pressure, which then leads to lagging the last 50% of peak boost.