Plugs and pistons and oil

No he means take pictures of the ends of the plugs lol, if you have got any oil on your plugs (the electrode) then that is bad and would explain your smokey exhaust.

First check your intercooler piping and confirm that your oil seals on the turbo havent blown, you should get a light oil residue in there but not soaking wet. If thats ok then you need to determine if your head is leaking oil into your bores or your piston rings are leaking and letting oil pass up into the combustion chamber, which is more likely.

To find out get a compression tester measure all 4 cylinders with a warm engine, disconnect the king spark lead and with the throttle open measure each cylinder and compare them. (you can get a compression tester for £20 from halfords)

They should all measure the same or roughly be about 10% of each other, if there is a large difference then it indicates a problem in that cylinder, get a teaspoon of oil pour it down the spark hole and remeasure the pressure. If the pressure goes up from your original reading then you have a piston/rings issue, or if it does not change at all then you have a problem with your head/valves etc.

Also take the pipe off the top of the engine which is where you breather pipe (left hand side of the rocker cover) rev is lightly and see if you can see mist, or oil vapour being blown out, you should only get air.

Edited by Taggy

No he means take pictures of the ends of the plugs lol, if you have got any oil on your plugs (the electrode) then that is bad and would explain your smokey exhaust.

First check your intercooler piping and confirm that your oil seals on the turbo havent blown, you should get a light oil residue in there but not soaking wet. If thats ok then you need to determine if your head is leaking oil into your bores or your piston rings are leaking and letting oil pass up into the combustion chamber, which is more likely.

To find out get a compression tester measure all 4 cylinders with a warm engine, disconnect the king spark lead and with the throttle open measure each cylinder and compare them. (you can get a compression tester for £20 from halfords)

They should all measure the same or roughly be about 10% of each other, if there is a large difference then it indicates a problem in that cylinder, get a teaspoon of oil pour it down the spark hole and remeasure the pressure. If the pressure goes up from your original reading then you have a piston/rings issue, or if it does not change at all then you have a problem with your head/valves etc.

Also take the pipe off the top of the engine which is where you breather pipe (left hand side of the rocker cover) rev is lightly and see if you can see mist, or oil vapour being blown out, you should only get air.

il try the pipe thing soon taggy

also the plugs electrode was clean use normal carbon, it was just the 1 and 4 plugs thread with slight oil so slight it can hardly be seen had to touch it and then saw on my finger

also il get a compression tester of somebody , last time is was between 147 and 150 in all cylinders? and that was with no throttle and king lead was on.

the head on my engine is likke new only been 500 miles i got valve stems replace , head skimmed, head shimmed for cams etc etc all work was done by engineer to head so i dont see it being head, it used to smoke before i thought it was strem seals, after i got all this done it didnt smoke for a few days on cold, then after a week or so easy driving off boost aswell it started smoking again i started noticing oil on back of car##

the turbo can be ruled out as with my ct9 it had same problem and ct9 was mint no shaft play no oil

with td04 still same problem.

also ive been offered an engine with no smoke still in car can be seen running compression around 12 bar in all 4 for 800 it has standard internals and all ancillaries##obviously if i go see it then i will get it compression check infront of me.. but is it worth what hes asking

Actually not plug seal it was changed it cant be turbo mate been changed to td04 and ct9 had no oil too and that had same problem but i will double check to make sure.

Edited by Hawwy

I doubt spark plug seals are causing smoke from engine and pressure in your catch can, I just mentioned in relation to the plugs.

My CT9 has no oil in it but occasionally smokes after a harsh boost, especially since I upped the boost a bit, but even if that was the problem, it wouldn't cause the pressure from your can, if it is excessive breathing then it points to piston rings, I would get a comp test done mate.