what temp should your rad fan come on?

Hi since having another engine fitted in my glanza and a few other bits done the red light on my greddy water temp gauge is coming on and the fan isnt kicking in till about 95-96 degrees then it only cools down to about 89-90 and starts rising again is this normal? the red light never used to come on when i first got the car and the standard temp gauge next to the clocks never goes past half way, could it be the greddy gauge is not working properly or the thermostat?

Hi since having another engine fitted in my glanza and a few other bits done the red light on my greddy water temp gauge is coming on and the fan isnt kicking in till about 95-96 degrees then it only cools down to about 89-90 and starts rising again is this normal? the red light never used to come on when i first got the car and the standard temp gauge next to the clocks never goes past half way, could it be the greddy gauge is not working properly or the thermostat?

mine comes on about 93 deg according to my defi temp gauge, i was worried too but it seem the 4efte engines run hot, my sr20det never broke 90 even when beasting it!!

Sounds normal. The standard temp gauge is crap, by the time it shows the car as overheating it will be majorly overheated! The stock temp gauge also see's the hot side of the engine - pre radiator, so it depends where your greddy gauge is plumbed as to how it compares.

• 1 month later...

i noticed the same with my defi gauge and sometimes i can see 98C that seems hot for me ...

The type of thermostat you have will determine when the fan comes on.

I think the standard thermostat is supposed to trigger at 82deg and then you get the aftermarket ones which trigger at lower temps,

Edited by H_D