Back to boost in an Impreza

Parted with my Altezza last weekend and now have an Impreza in it's place. Only have a couple of pics at the moment.

subaru-impreza-turbo-2000-awd-S20344-1.jpg

subaru-impreza-turbo-2000-awd-S20344-2.jpg

I'm really happy with it and holy christ it's quick and the grip is unbelievable. When considering power to weight, my old hybrid gt should have been quicker, but it wouldn't come close to this.

There are a few issues to sort: -

Repair the rear quarters where rust is beginning to creep through.

One of the rear coil overs is knocking

Can hit fuel cut at full boost but only occasional

Here's the spec so far

UK spec 1999 Impreza Turbo 2000 Estimated 310bhp

The shell has done 130K

MODS: -

Rebuilt V5 STI engine transplant at 85K

TD05 turbo Remaped at 20psi

exedy organic racing clutch

Walbro fuel pump

Heat wrapped Pro drive exhaust inc. decat

Dump valve

Do Luck panel filter

Apexi N1 Coilovers

White line front ARB

White line rear ARB

White line front strut brace

Flo-flex polybush drop links front and back

Sti 4pot front brakes, sti rear brakes

Braided brake hoses

Refurbed standard alloys

P1 spec front lip

oil temp guage, oil pressure guage, boost guage

clear side repeaters

Power to weight is not everything. The acceleration depends purely on torque, ideally in the whole RPM range. But a bit lower is generally better for acceleration. Also grip is important and the weight of the parts driven by the engine. So an engine with all parts lightened to the max is with same power faster in acceleration than the same stock engine. Also you UK guys tend to use wheels bigger than 15" which also slows down acceleration as the mass that has to be accelerated is bigger than with smaller and lighter rims.

So much for physics why this car is faster.

The car really looks nice, but personally I don't like the bonnet that much. The air intake doesn't go with the flow of the otherwise smooth lines.

I saw it on many build threads, many put 16" on the Starlets, some even squeeze 17" on. I remember one build where the user (I don't recall who it was) had 16"s on and complained when the cops stopped him for speeding but his clocks showed him he drove not faster than allowed. When the clocks aren't adjusted to the bigger diameter of rims including tires it shows a slower speed than there actually is. That is why I in Germany for example can use max. 15" with 195/45 tires. I could go bigger with flatter more low profile tires I think, but that would just look too stupid in my eyes.