been looking around for info but cant seem to get my head around it am wanting to get a twin axle car trailer so i can trailer my glanza to shows onces its done. but am not sure if i have to take the test for a trailer as i passed after 1997. ive been told provided the towing car + trailer + glanza doesnt come over 3.5tonnes i can drive it with out a licence but when i try read the bit on the dvla site it just confuses me for some reason :p. so am looking for the dummys guide what i can tow :p

cheers shaun

weight of car/van + trailer's capacity cannot exceed 3500kg. Trailers capacity on its own cannot exceed 750kg. Also biggest van you can drive is 3500kg so you need to do a trailer test

Edited by steve-gers

You can tow a maximum of 750 kg on your cat b licence. Or you can tow a maximum combination of car and trailer up to 3.5t as long as the trailer does not exceed 750kg.

Also the gross train weight must not exceed the towing vehicles limit. To confuse things even more the gross train weight can be exceeded if the trailer is braked.

Confusing I know. This is what I can understand from it any who.

^^^^ that applies if you passed you test afte septembe 99 if i remember correctly before that you can tow as long as your weight doesnt eceed 3.5t and the weight your pulling is legal for the car you usng

think the 750kg limit only applies to people passed after that date

think ill just sit the test to be safe anyone done it? il drive it as much as possible but since most of the big track days are a 6hour+ drive id like to no that when am kicking it round the track or up the strip i dont have to worrie about the journey home if anything goes wrong. also with a trailer allows me to carrie a few spares/tools and a change of wheels for slicks which i couldnt do with out.

It's to HGV standards and you have to do it at a HGV test center. There are a couple of exercises and a couple/ un-couple to do at the testing station then it's an hour of fully accessed driving to HGV standard this is different to when you did your car test as your thought of as driving for a living so have to be safe but show to make good progress whenever possible. It's not too bad but most test centers are in the bigger citys and as you are not over 7.5T they can take you where they like in busy traffic.I would recomend going with someone that does this for a living training wise but be careful and ask them how may people they have got through the test as i've seen some car instructors that do this as a side line and are pretty poor at training you for it.