What mods you need to hit 1 BAR of boost

Hello Guys,

Been a little while since i have made a post. As you know i have been looking for a starlet and been think weather to get a modified one or get a standard and modify myself, only problem is how much it will cost and what i would need to hit 1 bar. I have seen a lot of people have pushed there starlet with standard kit to hit a bar. When i mean standard i mean standard engine and turbo only the thing i am worried about is i dont want to hit 1 bar and then something blows i would still want the engine to be healthy and not strain so parts break or worst case the engine blows.

Could you guys be so kind to tell me:

What parts are need to make the starlet hit 1bar with standard turbo

How much BHP you get out of 1 bar

Last thing to the people that have put 1 bar with standard kit how has the car been did anything give out from doing this or was everything ok.

Thanks guys i am very grateful and sorry if you think it is a stupid question just want to know everything for when the time comes.

Nick

I ran one bar on my first GT for over a year with no problems at all, and it was still going strong when I sold it.

The crude method is FCD/FPR and an adjustable actuator, but you'll also want a front mount because it'll be blowing fairly hot air. Might be an idea to upgrade the fuel pump too. Once it's been set up on a wideband (you DO NOT want to run lean) you should be pushing 180ish bhp.

Edited by pacman

I read that for sale thread the other day thinking that looks like a sweet MK1 haha.

Mods to support 1 bar, my plans in the near future, all these mignt not be totally necessary but just a guideline. All new or uprated parts.

Full service

Front air filter

Front mount intercooler

Decat

Exhaust manifold

Exhaust system

Plugs

Leads

Plug and play ECU or EMB etc

Half size radiator

Fuel pump 255

Boost controller or adjustable actuator

Gauges, for peace of mind

Good clutch

Replace engine hoses, again for peace of mind, especially oil return

Might be more

Edited by daniel_g

Uprated manifold

Decat

Full exhaust system, ideally 2.5 inch

Uprated air filter

Front mount intercooler

Uprated plugs

Uprated leads

Adjustable actuator and ported wastegate or ideally external wastegate, preferably with EBC

Either FCD and RRFPR, Plug & Play ECU, or piggyback/standalone

Ideally a wideband

Think thats about it but I may have forgotten something.

An aftermarket ECU is waay overkill for 1 bar on a standard CT9. You could use a piggyback (emanage/unichip etc.) but it's not entirely necessary. FCD/FPR and a rolling road session will see you right. But yeah, you will also want to reduce any restrictions in the exhaust system. Stock manifold should be ok if you mod it, I'd decat though.

Depends on how much you want to spend and what your ultimate goal is. I wouldn't be buying an aftermarket ct9 mani if you will be going td04, say, 6 months down the line.

Thats just my plan and the way i want to do it and bought most of those parts already. P&P ecu is aftermarket and designed for ct9 setups, in no way is that overkill. Wouldnt bother with EMB tbh. FCD would not be my choice, seems pikey imo.

I read that for sale thread the other day thinking that looks like a sweet MK1 haha.

Mods to support 1 bar, my plans in the near future, all these mignt not be totally necessary but just a guideline. All new or uprated parts.

Full service

Front air filter

Front mount intercooler

Decat

Exhaust manifold

Exhaust system

Plugs

Leads

Plug and play ECU or EMB etc

Half size radiator

Fuel pump 255

Boost controller or adjustable actuator

Gauges, for peace of mind

Good clutch

Replace engine hoses, again for peace of mind, especially oil return

Might be more

It was a sweet MK1. Unfortunately it got stolen from the new owner after 3 weeks and has never been seen again, I was so gutted about that.

God I miss that car.

It was a sweet MK1. Unfortunately it got stolen from the new owner after 3 weeks and has never been seen again, I was so gutted about that.

God I miss that car.

I know your pain Rick i am the same about my toms mk1 still ummming and arrring about trying to get that one back.

Aye Rick, i mind reading that, such a shame. I'd love a MK1 but doind the next best thing and turning my MK3 into a MK1 haha.

Glad we be can help you Nick, even if it is just a shopping list haha, hope you find your old MK1 too buddy !!

IMO an aftermarket ECU is something like a haltec, link, megasquirt etc. which is just unnecessary expense. A plug and play ECU is one that has effectively been 'chipped'. Some useful info on ECUs can be found here.

The OP asked what is needed and I gave him the minimum requirements. As I said, it all comes down to what you want to spend and what you're aiming for.

Aye Rick, i mind reading that, such a shame. I'd love a MK1 but doind the next best thing and turning my MK3 into a MK1 haha.

Glad we be can help you Nick, even if it is just a shopping list haha, hope you find your old MK1 too buddy !!

Thanks very much daniel she was lush was a mk1 in green with a full tomz kit only had her 3 months but due to work i had to sell. I have found the person that has her but i have noticed a few threads that have been posted saying that he car has blown more than 2 engines so my heart has sunk. Has made me think do i see if i can get it or should i not bother with the risk and find another.

I think i would only keep it at about a Bar as i would only want it at about 200 HP but it would only be used at that when needed i would have a boost controller set at 1 bar for when i want to go fast but mostly set at a safe .6 or something for every day. So i think CT9 will do me fine maybe go to a hybrid later but will have to see but as long as the engine doesnt give out on my that is my biggest worry.

An aftermarket ECU is waay overkill for 1 bar on a standard CT9. You could use a piggyback (emanage/unichip etc.) but it's not entirely necessary. FCD/FPR and a rolling road session will see you right. But yeah, you will also want to reduce any restrictions in the exhaust system. Stock manifold should be ok if you mod it, I'd decat though.

Depends on how much you want to spend and what your ultimate goal is. I wouldn't be buying an aftermarket ct9 mani if you will be going td04, say, 6 months down the line.

Overkill but is an option, as for the mani, I would upgrade regardless, well to me i'd rather be safe than chance it.