Suggestions for new turbo

hey guys

mate has a ep71 forged 5e

he has the 265degree cams ported and polished head and 9.3lift

he wants to know what turbo would be better the gt2860rs or gt3071r?

His currerntly making 230kwatw with a vf35 with 30psi (316hpatw)

He knows its way past its efficency.

currently revving to 5.8k want to rev to 7.6k

Leaning towards the gt3071 because he has a .57 re-housing that he can bolt up to it and it already has a .84 already with it

the gt2860 has a .63 housing

he doesn't want it to be 6000+ power band but wants power up top (street use)

wants good flow and good response..

(he said's sorry for the essay)

Here is the dyno sheet

imagekjmf.jpg

Edited by Mo3

The GTX series turbo's don't actually spool any faster than a GT frame, but they do flow 10-15% more.

The gt30 with an .84 back end would be extremely laggy.

The gt28 with .48 or .64 back end would be far better and still capable of producing 400+whp.

I have a gt28 kit for sale if hes interested mate :)

Hey guys. Thanks for the replys. I'm the friend with the 71. I got moe to ask for me because I couldn't find where uksc went....

The reason I was thinking of 3071 was because people are saying the 2860rs and the 3071 with .63 or smaller housing will respond the same but the 3071 will have more guts. I'm a bit lost with these garretts. So many combos.

A guy here in aust had a GT 2860 and a 2871 and says his 2871 was heaps better. Both .63 rears.

I was originally going for the 2860 with .63 rear.

I don't wanna spend up on the gtx series. Hoping I can grab a bargain as others upgrade and I can cash in on their old ones lol

Should also add, I'm running e85 fuel, water meth for inlet temps and 8.6:1 comp ratio.

Edited by paulep82

If your running E85 and high compression ratio, you will have no problems spooling a gt28 or gt30. The 3071 will have more power as its a much larger turbo, the turbine side is slightly larger than the 2860, (53.85mm gt28 - 56.5mm for the gt30).

The 2871 would be a better turbo in terms of flow, but it uses the same turbine wheel size as the 2860. This you would think means more power and less lag, but the problem is that the turbine wheel could be choking flow and it would need more rpm speed to get anymore top end power. The 2871 wouldn't be a too bad upgrade but would not recommend going to the 2876 as this is way too unbalanced in terms of power output and spool.

Depends really what you want from the car, if you want good spool and still able to make 400bhp then opt for the gt28. If you can take a little more lag and have a greater power output then opt for the gt30.

Yeah I get your point Adam. Thanks for the reply. I really only built the car so I can piss off evo's and wrx's and v8s in the streets. I forget this was never meant to be anything but a sleeper. I think I'll just stick with the gt2860. Maybe I'll loose a bit up top but hey, I'll be on the road more than the drag strip.... 400hp is way above what I was hoping for. I was happy with 300hp at he wheels not bhp.

If I get 350hp at the wheels I'd be stoked.

Cheers for all the info and insight guys.

I'll keep u updated on how I go.

Oh really! That sux.... Lol ok then it's the 2871! Lol. Really appreciate the help guys. Hard to get a straight answer from people here in aust. Plus not many here have played with these bigger turbos.

Some people here have actually run both 2860 & 2871 and still can't give me an answer on characteristics.

Really appreciate the insight.

It's a lot of money to spend and make the wrong decision and end up with a pig!